Food gifts are a delight to give, and of course to receive, during the holidays. This fantastic topping makes it easy. Made with healthy frozen dark cherries and no-added sugar it, it’s a beautiful and thoughtful gift for anyone watching their health (even you!). Spoon it over your favorite reduced-sugar ice cream or frozen yogurt, on top of pancakes or waffles, or over a plain cake to dress it up holiday style. (This will keep well for up to two weeks if stored in the refrigerator.)
- 16 ounces (about 3 cups) frozen dark cherries, slightly thawed
- 2/3 cup Splenda Granular
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur or brandy
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 – 2 tablespoons orange peel (thin strips)
- Place cherries in a medium saucepan. Add Splenda, water, and cornstarch, and stir.
- On medium heat, cook slowly for 5 minutes or until cherries are warm. Turn heat up and bring to a low boil; cook, stirring just until mixture clears and sauce is thickened.
- Stir in liqueur and cook 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla, almond extract, and orange peel. Cool slightly and spoon into container.
Food Exchanges: 1/2 Fruit
|Nutritional Info (per serving):|
|Makes 8 Servings|
Recipe courtesy of Marlene Koch, RD, who is a registered dietitian and has specialized in delicious food and healthy lifestyles for over twenty years. Marlene holds a degree in Nutritional Science from the University of Los Angeles, California. Marlene is a best-selling author of healthy, low-sugar cookbooks. Marlene is a frequent guest on TV, radio and websites such as iVillage and dlife.com.