On May 1, 2009, ADW Diabetes paid tribute to Joyce Malaskovitz, PhD, RN, CDE, the winner of their 2nd Annual Diabetes Educator of the Year Contest. We also recognized esteemed Diabetes Educator of the Year Contest finalists Suzanne Laws, MS, RD, LD, CDE and Laura Terrio, RN, BS, CDE.
Created to recognize the unsung heroes of the diabetes epidemic, the Diabetes Educator of the Year Contest received an outpouring of support, and more than 60 people, in both the diabetes and non-medical communities, attended the awards ceremony. NBC 6 South Florida News Anchor and Type I diabetic, Joel Connable, hosted the event. Other attendees included diabetes education professionals, local dignitaries and members of our Destination Diabetes advisor team.
In addition, the event featured prominent speakers such as Donna Rice, immediate past President of the American Association of Diabetes Educators, and Charlie Kimball, a 24 year-old race car driver who made international history with a podium finish in the Formula 3 Euro series in his first race – after he was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in 2007.
Christopher Thomas of Diabetic Rockstar and Andy "Mr. Diabetes" Mandell of the Defeat Diabetes Foundation were also in attendance. We want to recognize the team at IPump.org for their support of this important award as well.
About Our Winner
Joyce Malaskovitz. Joyce believes in following dreams and taking risks. After the sudden death of her grandfather who had diabetes, Joyce embarked upon her lifelong mission to become a nurse and certified diabetes educator, and to provide the best possible care to all people with diabetes.
For the past 18 years, she has worked as the Director of the Diabetes Treatment Center at Desert Springs Hospital, and in partnership with Healthways, has led the hospital to become the first in the nation to achieve the Certificate of Distinction for Advanced Inpatient Diabetes Care awarded by The Joint Commission. She has spent countless hours supporting diabetes colleagues across the nation to prepare for their certification. She also spends time assisting various community organizations and businesses to make a difference in the fight against diabetes. She is their voice, educator, leader, advocate and friend.
The ADW Diabetes team extends a heartfelt thanks to everyone that made this award so special to all involved. Special thanks go to Home Diagnostics and the Boca Raton Resort & Club for making this year’s contest possible.
This year’s award was even better than last year, and we look forward to continuing our efforts to raise awareness about the importance of diabetes education.
Please Meet Our Esteemed Judges
Wellness Manager, Botsford Hospital Center for Lifestyle Management
Past President & Chair of Nominating Committee, American Association of Diabetes Educators
Donna Rice is currently the President of the Southern Sector Health Initiative (SSHI), an affiliate of Baylor Health Care System. The SSHI is a new initiative for the Baylor Health Care System, with a vision of improving the care and saving the lives of people with diabetes, by creating a new care model focused on health care, prevention, education, and research in the Frazier Community of South Dallas.
Her primary responsibility is to bring this vision into a reality with the development of a “state of the art” Health and Wellness Institute that focuses on diabetes care and prevention.
She received her Registered Nurses Diploma from Saint Anne’s Hospital School of Nursing (Chicago) and completed her Bachelor of Science in Nursing from the Madonna University in Livonia, Michigan. She also received a Master in Business Administration from Baker College of Business in Flint, Michigan.
She has been involved with diabetes management for the past 20 years and is a national and international thought leader on diabetes care. Donna also serves as the current Immediate Past President of the American Association of Diabetes Educators for 2008.
Rice has also chaired a national task force and developed a national program on sexual dysfunction for the American Association of Diabetes Educators. She has also published a manual called Diabetes and Erectile Dysfunction: A Quick “n” Easy Guide for the Diabetes Educator, and currently co-authored a book called “Sex and Diabetes” with the American Diabetes Association.
She is frequently called upon to speak on the topic of diabetes education and has authored many publications on sexual dysfunction as it relates to diabetes, as well as numerous publications on diabetes care. Donna has done numerous television and radio talk shows promoting diabetes prevention and care.
Donna recently relocated from Brighton, Michigan and has two grown sons.
Customer Relations Manager, ADW Diabetes
Chris Stocker, Customer Relations Manager at ADW, was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes on April 3rd, 2004. Since his diagnosis, Chris has dedicated his life to increasing diabetes awareness both through his blog, Life of a Diabetic, and by volunteering at the local American Diabetes Association and at JDRF events.
At ADW Diabetes, Chris is responsible for not only managing client relationships, but also for developing affiliations with diabetes educators and local diabetes-focused organizations.
Local American Diabetes Association Team
The American Diabetes Association is leading the fight against the deadly consequences of diabetes and fighting for those affected by diabetes. The Association funds research to prevent, cure and manage diabetes; delivers services to hundreds of communities; provides objective and credible information; and gives voice to those denied their rights because of diabetes. Founded in 1940, our mission is to prevent and cure diabetes and to improve the lives of all people affected by diabetes.
The American Diabetes Association is very active in the local South Florida community. From educational programs that target high-risk populations, to community events that raise money for research and advocacy, the Southeast Florida office is committed to fulfilling the mission of the ADA.
For more information please call the American Diabetes Association at 1-800-DIABETES (1-800-342-2383) or visit www.diabetes.org.
About the Diabetes Educator of the Year Award
ADW Diabetes (ADW) created their award program in an effort to recognize the unsung heroes of the diabetes epidemic and offer promotion and recognition to dedicated healthcare professionals who remain committedto helping those living with diabetes.
Any and all diabetes care professional are eligible to win the contest, including Certified Diabetes Educators, nurses, physicians and any other healthcare professional who is committed to helping his or her patients learn how to effectively manage their diabetes. The nomination period ended November 7, 2008. Our esteemed panel of judges are currently reviewing all nominations. We would like to thank everyone who sent in nominations.
We’re rewarding our Diabetes Educator of the Year to a much deserved relaxing luxurious weekend. The winner will receive a 2 night/3 day stay at a luxury resort in South Florida. Round trip airfare for two and ground transport between the airport and the hotel are also included. In addition, the "Diabetes Educator of the Year" award will be presented by ADW Diabetes during a special ceremony to honor the winner.
HOW TO ENTER: To enter, compose an essay of 250 words or less about a Diabetes Educator who has made an incredible difference in the lives of diabetics. Self-nominations are permitted. Statements made in your entry must be true and accurate, to the best of your knowledge. Include the nominee’s name, email address and daytime phone number, along with your name, email address and daytime phone number.
Entries may be submitted on or after 12:00 Noon. ET on August 7, 2008, and must be submitted no later than 12:00 Noon. ET, November 7, 2008. Only one entry per person or email address may be submitted.
CONTEST RULES & REGULATIONS:
- This contest is open to legal residents of the 48 contiguous United States and Washington DC, 18 years of age or older as of time of entry, except the employees of the Sponsor, ADW Diabetes and members of their immediate families.
- All eligible entries received will be judged by an expert panel of judges, consisting of a member of the staff of the American Diabetes Association, a Heath care professional, and an employee of ADW Diabetes, using equally weighted criteria of: (1) inspirational value of story, (2) clarity of thought and execution and (3) relevance to theme. Statements made in entry must be true and accurate, to best of Entrant’s knowledge. Judging will be completed, and potential finalists will be selected, in March 2009. The three highest-scoring entries will be posted on www.adwdiabetes.com beginning January 7, 2009 and users of the ADW Diabetes website will vote for the winning essay. The entry that receives the most votes will be the winner. In the event of a tie, such tied entries will be re-judged by an additional, qualified tie-breaking judge based on the above criteria. Sponsor reserves the right not to award all prizes in the event it receives an insufficient number of eligible entries that meet the minimum judging criteria set forth above as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. Judges’ decisions in connection with all matters concerning the Contest shall be final and binding.
- Potential winner-nominator will be notified by telephone and/or email and will be asked to provide contact information for the potential winning nominee (subject to verification and acceptance of prize).
- Your entry must be your own original work, and may not have been published previously, entered in any other contest or have won any other award. Submission of an entry grants Sponsors the exclusive right to edit, illustrate, abridge, modify and publish the entry for any and all purposes in any media whether currently in existence or hereafter invented (including but not limited to print and digital media) without further compensation to the entrant or winner.
- There will be one Grand Prize Winner and two runner-up winners. The nominee described in the top ranked entry (as determined by user voting on www.adwdiabetes.com) will be chosen as the Grand Prize winner. The next two highest scoring entries will be the runner-up winners.
- One (1) winning nominee will be awarded a trip for two to Boca Raton, FL. Trip includes two (2) economy class, roundtrip air transportation tickets for the Grand Prize nominee and a guest to travel from a major airport near the Grand Prize Nominee’s residence to Fort Lauderdale, FL. Transfers from the airport to the hotel upon arrival and from the hotel to the airport upon departure will be provided. Air transportation will not be provided if the winner or guest lives within 100 miles of Boca Raton, FL; instead, ground transportation will be provided. Two (2) night’s standard accommodations, standard room, double occupancy at the Boca Raton Resort & Hotel will also be provided. Grand Prize ARV: $4,000. Actual value of Grand Prize will depend on point of departure and any airfare fluctuations. Grand prize nominee and his/her guest must take air travel on same itinerary. Trip must be taken on weekend of award ceremony that is predetermined by sponsor. Twenty-one day advance booking required. Potential grand prizewinner must accept grand prize in its entirety or grand prize will be forfeited and an alternate winner selected.
- Sponsor will not replace any lost or stolen tickets, travel vouchers or certificates. Once booked, no change, extension or substitution of trip dates is permitted, except by Sponsor at its sole discretion. Grand prizewinner and guest are responsible for obtaining all necessary and required travel documents. All meals, gratuities, additional ground transfers, transportation, excursions, insurance, incidentals, departure, airport taxes and any other expenses not specified herein are the sole responsibility of the grand prize winner and his or her guest. In the event the potential winning nominee chooses not to accept the prize, the nominee which is the subject of the next highest scored entry will be deemed the potential winning nominee (subject to verification and acceptance of prize).
- Winners will be notified by telephone, mail and/or email on or about March 2009. Each winner and the winning nominee will be required to comply with all instructions in the prize notification letter and may be required to sign an affidavit of eligibility, a liability release, a publishing rights release and a publicity release (where permitted by law). If the completed signed forms are not received within 14 days of the date printed on the notification, prize may be forfeited and the entrant with the next highest scoring entry will be selected as the alternate winner.
- By accepting the prize, winner agrees that Sponsor, their officers, directors, agents, and employees will have no liability or responsibility for any injuries, losses, or damages of any kind resulting from participation in the contest and/or the acceptance, possession, or use of any prize and they will be held harmless against any claims of liability arising directly or indirectly from participation in the contest or the prizes awarded. By entering, participants warrant that their entries are original and that Sponsor’s use of any material submitted will not violate any rights of any other person or entity, including, without limitation, any copyrights. Participants further agree to indemnify and hold Sponsor harmless from any claims arising from Sponsor’s use of entrants’ or winner’s submissions.
- Entries will not be acknowledged or returned. No telephone calls will be accepted. Contest sponsor is not responsible for late or misdirected entries or technical malfunctions and may suspend, modify or terminate the contest in the latter event. In the event of early termination, judging and selection of winners will take place using all eligible entries received prior to termination. Entries will not be returned to entrants.
- No substitutions or transfers of prizes by the winners will be allowed. Sponsors may substitute a prize of equal or greater value.
- Liability for any applicable taxes and any other expenses not expressly included in the prize will be the sole responsibility of the winners. Any required tax reporting forms will be furnished to the IRS.
- By entering this contest and/or by accepting a prize, you agree to accept these contest rules and the decisions of the judges, which are final.
- This Contest is subject to federal, state and local laws with venue in Palm Beach County in the State of Florida. By entering, you agree to be bound by these rules and you give your express permission to be contacted by Sponsors by e-mail and/or mail. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY.
- The sponsor of this contest is ADW Diabetes, 1121 S Military Trail Suite 355 Deerfield Beach, FL 33442.
Barbara J. Odom
Our 2007 Diabetes Educator of the Year
We here at ADW Diabetes are honored to announce Barbara J. Odom, RN, PHN, M.ED as the first-ever recipient of their Diabetes Educator of the Year Award. Our expert panel of judges sorted through hundreds of qualified nominations that included Certified Diabetes Educators, nurses, physicians, and other healthcare professionals from around the country. Barbara was chosen because of her dedication and commitment to helping those afflicted with diabetes live healthfully.
2007 Diabetes Educator of the Year Contest Press Release (33 kb)
2007 Diabetes Educator of the Year Winner Press Release (142 kb)
2007 Diabetes Educator of the Year Award Ceremony Release (130 kb)
Latest posts by ADW Diabetes (see all)
- Sexual Health & Diabetes - March 13, 2018
- 7 Creative New Year Resolutions for People with Diabetes - December 26, 2017
- Zesty Broccoli Salad - October 10, 2017