- 1 loaf (16 ounces) Italian bread
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons light ranch-style dressing
- 3 medium tomatoes (about 4 ounces each), sliced
- ¼ medium purple onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 2 medium portabella mushrooms (about 6 ounces total), thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1 cup small broccoflower florets
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cut bread in half lengthwise. Lay each half on a baking sheet and spread each with about 1/4 cup dressing.
- Top bread evenly with tomato slices, onion rings, mushroom slices, green pepper strips, red pepper strips, and broccoflower.
- Drizzle very lightly with remaining dressing. Press on cheese.
- Bake for 20–25 minutes, or until vegetables are crisp-tender and cheese is melted. Cut each half loaf of bread into 6 equal pieces.
Food Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 fat
Carbohydrate choices: 2
|Nutritional Info (per serving):|
|Makes 4 Servings|
Recipe provided courtesy of Diabetes Self-Management, which offers up-to-date, practical “how-to” information on nutrition, exercise, new drugs, medical advances, self-help, and the many other topics people need to know about to stay healthy. Over the last eight years alone, the articles and series in Diabetes Self-Management have captured 191 awards at the annual National Health Information Awards, more than any other diabetes magazine.
Reprinted with permission from Diabetes Self-Management. © 2008 R.A. Rapaport Publishing, Inc. Visit us at www.DiabetesSelfManagement.com