- 4 cups red beans or pinto beans, dried
- Water to cover
- 1 cup onion
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups of green cabbage
- 5 cups of lettuce, chopped
- 3 1/3 cup tomato, chopped
- 1 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 1/4 cup Mozzarella cheese, part skim, grated
- 2 1/2 cup lowfat cheese (optional)
- 10 fry bread, 5 inch diameter
- 1 1/4 cup Salsa, medium (optional)
- Wash beans, place in 5 quart cooking pot and cover with water. Soak overnight. Drain.
- Add onion, chili powder, garlic powder, paprika, and cumin to beans in the pot. Cover with water and simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring and adding water as needed. When beans are done, smash a few against the pot with a spoon. Add salt, mix well and set aside. Do not smash all the beans.
- Chop greens finely. Mix together and set aside.
- Mix cheeses thoroughly and set aside.
- Place one fry bread on a plate, top with 1 cup beans, 1/4 cup cheese, 1 cup cabbage/lettuce, 1/3 cup tomatoes, 2 tablespoon green onions.
Food Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch/bread, 2 meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
|Nutritional Info (per serving):|
|Makes 10 Servings|
Recipe provided courtesy of the Indian Health Service (IHS), an agency within the Department of Health and Human Services, is responsible for providing federal health services to American Indians and Alaska Natives. The IHS is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for Indian people, and its goal is to raise their health status to the highest possible level.