- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large tomato, sliced very thin
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/3 teaspoon. salt (optional)
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced very thin
- 8 ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a medium nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Sauté onion until tender, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer to an 8″ x 8″ or 9″ x 13″ baking dish.
- Sauté the garlic for 1 minute. Add the crushed tomato, basil, oregano, and salt, and cook gently over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
- Spread a layer of this mixture over the onion layer.
- Add a layer of eggplant and follow with a layer of tomato.
- Sprinkle 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese over top.
- Repeat layers of eggplant, tomato, and cheese until you use all ingredients. Finish with a layer of mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 25 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Uncover and bake 10-15 minutes, or until layer of cheese is light brown.
- Serve immediately.
Food Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 fat.
|Nutritional Info (per serving: serving size = 1 cup):|
|Makes 4 Servings|
Recipe courtesy of the National Diabetes Education Program which is an informative resource for the prevention and control of diabetes. Their goal is to educate all people, both with and without diabetes, about the disease.
Latest posts by ADW Diabetes (see all)
- Sexual Health & Diabetes - March 13, 2018
- 7 Creative New Year Resolutions for People with Diabetes - December 26, 2017
- Zesty Broccoli Salad - October 10, 2017