- 1 cup dried apricots, sliced
- 1 cup water
- 3 1/2 tsp Equal for Recipes (12 packets Equal sweetener or 1/2 cup Equal Spoonful)
- 1/8 tsp ground mace (or nutmeg)
- 1 16oz loaf frozen Italian bread dough, thawed
- 1/4 cup sliced or slivered almonds
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 1 tsp Equal for Recipes (3 packets Equal sweetener or 2 tbsp Equal Spoonful)
- Preheat Oven to 375°F
- Add apricots, water, 3 1/2 tsp Equal and mace to small sauce pan and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until apricots are tender and water is absorbed (about 10 minutes).
- Continue to simmer uncovered until no water remains (2 to 3 minutes).
- Take pan off heat and set aside to cool.
- Roll dough on floured surface into 14″ x 8″ rectangle.
- Spread apricot mixture on dough to within 1″ of edges.
- Sprinkle with 1/3 almonds and roll dough up jelly roll style.
- Beginning with the long edge, pinch dough to seal and place dough seam side down on greased cookie sheet forming a circle. Pinch ends to seal.
- Using scissors, cut dough from outside edge almost to center, making cuts 1″ apart. Turn each section cut side up to filling shows.
- Let rise, covered, in a warm place until dough is double in size (about 1 hour).
- Brush top of dough lightly with milk and sprinkle remaining almonds and 1 tsp Equal.
- Bake coffee cake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Let cool on wire rack.
- Serve warm or cool.
Food Exchanges: 1/2 Fruit, 1 Bread, 1/2 Fat.
|Nutritional Info (per serving):|
|Makes 12 Servings|
Recipe provided courtesy of Merisant Corporation and the NutraSweet Company, makers of Equal
Latest posts by ADW Diabetes (see all)
- 5 Reasons For Heavy Sweating With Diabetes - May 15, 2018
- Testing Your A1c Levels - May 8, 2018
- Medtronic MiniMed Infusion Sets | Diabetic Supply Review - May 4, 2018