- 1 pouch (5 ounces) hickory-smoked chunk light tuna or plain water packed tuna
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 whole wheat English muffins, split and lightly toasted
- 4 large tomato slices
- Coarse-ground black pepper
- 4 slices (½ ounce each) part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place tuna in a bowl and flake with a fork. Add green onion and mayonnaise; stir to mix well.
- Top each English muffin half with a slice of tomato and one-fourth of the tuna mixture.
- Sprinkle lightly with pepper and top with a slice of cheese. Warm in the oven until cheese melts, about 3 – 4 minutes.
- Tuna mixture may be made in advance and refrigerated until ready to make melts.
Food Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 lean meat.
Carbohydrate choices: 1
|Nutritional Info (per serving):|
|Makes 4 Servings|
Recipe courtesy of Diabetes Self-Management magazine, offers up-to-date, practical “how-to” information on nutrition, exercise, new drugs, medical advances, self-help, and the many other topics people need to know about to stay healthy. Over the last eight years alone, the articles and series in Diabetes Self-Management have captured 191 awards at the annual National Health Information Awards, more than any other diabetes magazine.
Reprinted with permission from Diabetes Self-Management. © 2008 R.A. Rapaport Publishing, Inc. Visit us at www.DiabetesSelfManagement.com.