- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 medium red/green peppers, cut into strips
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- 1 3-lb chicken, cut into 8 pieces, skin removed
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth, fat removed
- 4 cups water Saffron or Sazón, for color
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen green beans
- Olives or capers for garnish, if desired
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a nonstick pot. Add the onion, garlic, celery, green pepper, and mushrooms. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, for about 3 minutes or until tender.
- Add the rice and sauté for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly until it begins to brown.
- Add the chicken, salt, chicken broth, water, saffron (Sazón), and tomatoes. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer.
- Cover the pot and let the casserole simmer until the water is absorbed and rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the peas, corn, and beans, and cook for 8-10 minutes. When everything is hot the casserole is ready to serve. Garnish with olives or capers, if desired.
Food Exchanges: 1 Fruit, 1 Starch, 1 1/2 Fat.
|Nutritional Info (per serving)
|Makes 8 Servings|
Recipe courtesy of The National Diabetes Education Program is an informative resource for the prevention and control of diabetes. Their goal is to educate all people, both with and without diabetes, about the disease.
Latest posts by ADW Diabetes (see all)
- 5 Reasons For Heavy Sweating With Diabetes - May 15, 2018
- Testing Your A1c Levels - May 8, 2018
- Medtronic MiniMed Infusion Sets | Diabetic Supply Review - May 4, 2018