Last Saturday the American Diabetes Wholesale team participated in the 2nd Annual Feria de Salud Por Tu Familia at Tropical Park. This was a great event during Hispanic Heritage Month hosted by the South Florida American Diabetes Association. Several thousand local residents came out to Feria de Salud to help fight against diabetes in Miami’s neighborhoods that are most affected by diabetes.
Here are a few key stats on diabetes within the Hispanic community from the ADA:
- The prevalence of diabetes is 1.7 times higher in Hispanics than Non-Hispanic Whites
- 61% of the population is Hispanic in Miami-Dade County (19% in Florida and 7% in the United States)
- 8.6% Hispanics have been diagnosed with diabetes in Miami-Dade County
- 2.5 million or 9.5% of all Hispanic Americans aged twenty years or older have diabetes
- An estimated 16% of Cubans in the United States between the ages of 45 and 74 have diabetes
- Approximately 24% of Mexican Americans and 26% of Puerto Ricans in the United States between the ages of 45 and 74 have diabetes
- Estimated that by 2020, 44% of Hispanics over the age of 65 will have diabetes
ADW enjoyed this great diabetes event and all the activities that were available for the families for everyone. The atmosphere included live music, dancing, nutritional information, cooking demonstrations, face painting for the kids, and much more.
Here are some photos of the event, including our booth and banner on the performance stage.
Latest posts by ADW Diabetes (see all)
- Make a Commitment to Fitness - April 5, 2017
- What May Cause Your Muscle Aches and Pains When You Have Diabetes? - April 3, 2017
- Overlooked Cheap and Healthy Foods - March 29, 2017