Coffeecakes can also be made into a heart, horseshoe or other desired shapes. After forming, cut dough as directed above in recipe. A single dried fruit such as apricots, pears or apples can be substituted for the mixed dried fruit, if desired.
Cinnamon Almond Coffeecake Directions
- 1 (16-ounces) package hot roll mix
- teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 3/4 cup Equal® Spoonful (or 18 packets of Equal sweetener)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons stick butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 3/4 cup very hot tap water
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds (optional)
- Preheat Oven to 350 °F
- Combine flour and yeast from hot roll mix in medium bowl.
- Add spices, lemon peel and 3/4 cup Equal®; mix well.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except Mixed Fruit Filling and almonds, to make soft dough.
- Knead dough on lightly floured surface for about 5 minutes or until smooth. Cover dough with bowl and let dough stand 15 minutes.
- Divide dough into 2 equal pieces. Roll 1 piece on floured surface into 20 x 6-inch rectangle. Spread half of Mixed Fruit Filling over dough to within 1-inch of edges. Roll up dough, beginning with long edge.
- Place dough, seam side down, on sprayed baking sheet. Shape dough into a ring, pinching ends together to seal.
- Cut around sides of ring with scissors, cutting through center of dough and leaving top and bottom of ring uncut.
- Gently open cut surfaces of dough to expose filling. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Let stand in warm place about 45 minutes or until dough doubles in size.
- Bake coffeecakes in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until dough is browned. Slide the coffeecakes onto wire racks to cool.
- Sprinkle with almonds if desired.
- Serve immediately or once coffeecake is cool.
Mixed Fruit Filling Directions
- 2 1/2 cups chopped mixed dried fruit.
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider or unsweetened apple juice.
- 1 cup Equal® Spoonful (or 24 packets of Equal sweetener).
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel.
- Combine dried fruit, apple cider, 1 cup Equal® and 1 teaspoon lemon peel in medium saucepan.
- Heat to boiling then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, about 10 minutes or until cider is almost evaporated, stirring occasionally.
- Cool and set aside.
Food Exchanges: 1 1/2 fruit, 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
|Nutritional Info (per serving):|
|Makes 16 Servings|
Recipe provided courtesy of Merisant Corporation ® and the NutraSweet Company, makers of Equal®.
Latest posts by ADW Diabetes (see all)
- Sexual Health & Diabetes - March 13, 2018
- 7 Creative New Year Resolutions for People with Diabetes - December 26, 2017
- Zesty Broccoli Salad - October 10, 2017