Chocolate Expresso Cake:
- 6 tbsp margarine
- 10 3/4 tsp Equal for Recipes or 36 packets Equal sweetener or 1 1/2 cups Equal Spoonful
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 1/3 cup apricot preserves with NutraSweet brand sweetener or apricot spreadable fruit
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/8 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp instant expresso coffee crystals
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 large egg yoke
- Preheat Oven to 350°F (175°C)
- Heat margarine, chocolate, milk, apricot preserves and expresso crystals in a small saucepan. Whisk frequently until chocolate is almost melted. Remove pan from heat and continue whisking until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Whisk in the egg yolk and add Equal. Whisk until Smooth.
- Mix flour and salt.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar to stiff peaks in a large bowl. Fold chocolate mixture into egg whites. Fold in combined flour and salt.
- Lightly grease the bottom of a 9″ round cake pan and line with parchment or baking paper. Pour cake batter into pan.
- Bake in preheaded oven until cake is just firm when lightly touched (about 18-20 minutes) and tooth pick comes out clean. Do not overbake. Carefully loosen the side of the cake from the pan with a small and sharp knife. The knife will keep the cake from cracking as it cools. Cool cake completely in the pan, on a wire rack. Once cooled, refrigerate until chilled (about 1 to 2 hours).
- Remove cake from pan and place it on a serving plate. Spread with Rich Chocolate Glaze, if desired. Garnish with light whipped topping, chocolate drizzle and / or raspberries, if desired.
Rich Chocolate Glaze Directions
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 2 oz unsweetened chocolate, cut into small pieces
- 3 1/2 tsp Equal for recipes or 12 packets Equal sweetener or 1/2 cup Equal Spoonful
- Heat milk and chocolate in a small saucepan, whisking frequently, until almost melted. Remove from heat and continue whisking until chocolate is melted and smooth. Whisk in Equal.
- Cool to room temperature or refrigerate glaze, if necessary until glaze is thickened enough to spread.
Food Exchanges: 1/2 Fat
|Nutritional Info (per serving):|
|Makes 12 Servings|
This recipe provided courtesy of the Merisant Corporation and the NutraSweet Company, makers of Equal.
Latest posts by ADW Diabetes (see all)
- Sexual Health & Diabetes - March 13, 2018
- 7 Creative New Year Resolutions for People with Diabetes - December 26, 2017
- Zesty Broccoli Salad - October 10, 2017