- 3/4 cup pitted dates, chopped
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 large egg whites
- 3 1/2 teaspoons Equal® for Recipes or 12 packets Equal® sweetener
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1 (16-ounce) loaf frozen Italian bread dough, thawed
- 1 large egg white
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 teaspoon Equal® for Recipes or 3 packets Equal® sweetener
- Preheat oven to 375 °F (190 °C)
- Combine dates, 1/4 cup walnuts, egg whites, 3 1/2 teaspoons Equal® for Recipes, and lemon rind in small bowl.
- Roll dough on floured surface into rectangle 20″ x 6″.
- Spread date mixture on dough to within 1″ of edges. Roll dough up, beginning with long edge and pinch edge of dough to seal.
- Cut roll into 2 equal pieces. Place rolls on greased cookie sheet and twist together, tucking ends under. Let rise, covered, in warm place for 1 hour or until dough is double in size.
- Beat egg white and water in small bowl.
- Brush egg mixture over top of the dough.
- Sprinkle dough with 1 teaspoon Equal® for Recipes and remaining 1/4 cup walnuts.
- Bake oven for 35 minutes or until golden. Cool on wire rack.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
Food exchanges: 1 1/2 Bread, 1/2 Fat.
|Nutritional Info (per serving):|
|Makes 16 Servings|
Recipe provided courtesy of Merisant Corporation ® and the NutraSweet Company, makers of Equal®
Latest posts by ADW Diabetes (see all)
- Sexual Health & Diabetes - March 13, 2018
- 7 Creative New Year Resolutions for People with Diabetes - December 26, 2017
- Zesty Broccoli Salad - October 10, 2017