- 1/4 cup margarine, softened
- 10 3/4 tsp Equal for Recipes (36 packets Equal sweetener or 1 1/2 cups Equal Spoonful)
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 to 3/4 tsp orange extract
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 3 tbsp apricot fruit spread
- Preheat Oven to 350°F (175°C)
- Beat margarine and equal until blended in mixer bowl.
- Beat in egg, egg whites, orange extract and pumpkin.
- Mix in baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.
- Add raisins and chopped pecans and mix into batter.
- Spread batter evenly in a greased 8 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ x 2 1/2″ loaf pan.
- Bake in oven until browned and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean (50 to 60 minutes).
- Cool bread in pan for 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
- Heat fruit spread until melted in small saucepan.
- Brush on bread and garnish with pecans if desired.
- Serve warm.
Food Exchanges: 1 Bread, 1 Fat.
Recipe provided courtesy of Merisant Corporation and the NutraSweet Company, makers of Equal
|Nutritional Info (per serving):|
|Makes 8 Servings|
Marlene graduated Magna Cum Laude with a degree in nutrition from U.C.L.A. in 1986 and is one of a select group of dietitians to hold an advanced certificate in Child and Adolescent Weight Management from the American Dietetic Association. Combining her love of food with her educational foundation, she has held such positions as Hospital Foodservice Director, Nutrition Professor, Cooking Instructor for the Columbus State Culinary Academy and as a national nutrition educator to chefs for the American Culinary Federation. Her passion for teaching others how to make healthy food taste delicious also extend to her private nutrition practice specializing in weight loss, diabetes, and wellness.
Marlene loves to teach (and to eat!); her energetic and upbeat style has made her a popular food and nutrition speaker for organizations such as the American Diabetes and American Heart Associations and sought after for television and radio appearances which have included affiliates for ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX and Shaw TV (Vancouver) and radio stations nationwide.