Save money and execise too

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Save money and execise too

With money being as tight as it is, there are a few things one an do to not only save money but also get some activity going.
    Hang laundry instead of using a dryer.
    Using a solar drier (umbrella dryer/ clothesline) is one way of getting some needed exercise without even knowing it and save on your electric bill. Leave your electric/gas drier for rainy days.
    By carrying damp clothes which weigh on average 20-30 pounds outside to the clothesline you have carried, lifted and now using your arms above your head gotten some mild forms of aerobics. fighting with wet clothes is not easy. Now you have to remove the dry clothes and fold them and begin a next load. Its exercise at its finest.

How about mowing the lawn with say a standard push mower or old fashioned rotor blade mower?
    yeah about that. If your yard is small there s no need for a major lawnmower. You have to push, pull and walk to get the job done with an old fashioned one. It saves on pollutants too!

Hand hoeing a garden. Yes a hoe. simple plop back and forth movement will break up and kill weeds and keep you garden soil soft. perfect for plots of 30 feet by 12 rows or less. Plus no gasoline pollutants to get into the air or spending money on fuel.

So these are just a few ideas that will save you money, get you outside and moving..

Those are all great ideas, especially if you own a house and get to do yardwork or to have a place to hang your laundry. I don't have a backyard and it's illegal to hang laundry in my neighborhood. It all had to do with fireman being able to get on the roof and down to apartments during a fire.

For the rest of us who can't start a garden -- oh how I dream of being able to plant food and see it grow -- the rest of us can also burn calories and save money at the same time.

We all already know that we shouldn't take the car or even public transportation if we can help it. Try and get yourself to walk the twelve blocks to the library instead of taking the bus.

Do the local shopping on foot and ask your neighbors who might be elderly or ill if they need you to go to the store for something. Just make certain that all the money matters are plainly written out. How much you should spend and what exactly they want you to buy. I guarantee you that they won't want the easily gotten bar of butter at the corner market -- they will want the penny less bar of butter seven blocks over. I guarantee it. You'll be doing a good deed, walking to burn calories and you'll be learning patience too.

If you have a friend with kids, tell her that you will take them to the park one afternoon a week. Your friend will bless you, you'll get some air and exercise (going to the park with young kids is going to burn PLENTY of calories) and you can meet all the unattached single fathers (or mothers) in the neighborhood.

Do your own baking! That will save money and you will work up a sweat kneading the dough. And your building will be filled with people outside your door when the smell of just baked fresh bread fills the air. You might be able to start bartering some things then and you can save even more money that way.

Just keep your mind open and you will think of a lot of ways to save money and get fitter.

Comment

I had no idea

It never occurred to me that you couldn't get to clotheslines. All of the apartments we ever lived in had sections just for hanging laundry. even co-op city had areas.
      I wish the library was only 12 blocks. its 7 miles.
      Living jere near the mountains we have so much different availability.
      one way to save cash if you have it local is get those free passes to the places like Ballys, the Rush, 24 hour fitness etc.
      they ahve passes from teh free places online and at their web sites.

ON another note How about bucket gardening? does your complex not allow that either? What about window gardens?

Comment

Another way to get *some* exercise in is to park at the far end of the lot if you have to drive somewhere.

For example, driving that 7 miles to the library? When you get there, park at the end of the lot that's farthest from the door.

I do this all the time at the grocery store and at work. It has a side benefit in that I'm always parking in almost the exact same spot, so it's easier to remember where I left my car

Comment

Good idea - gardening also saves money b/c you get free food! We put out a huge garden every year and enjoy fresh veggies we grew

Comment

My little contribution.

My DH built me a clothesline this year.

I'm sorry, but I can't carry the basket, but I do have a trolley and I carry them outside. I've also been ironing more, which is exercise too.

I've noticed two things:
            1) I'm stronger than I was 6 months ago.
            2) My back and neck get tired less.

These are good things.

Comment

Go Gladys Go Gladys!

Doing the woot woot here for you!

That si so wonderful that you are doing great!

Comment

These are very good ideas and require a lot of human effort. Since we're so used to conveniences, I guess we have all overlooked opportunities to burn calories.

Comment

Hi there,

All the ideas expressed here are great and we have to follow them to save money and get sweat to our body. But I think all these things are not possible in this speedy world where our life had become more mechanical and we have to depend on others to get various services. Its very difficult to do everything on our own, because we don't have time. I think all the ideas can be followed by the people who live in rural areas and those people who live in cities cannot follow these ideas. I hope you will agree with me.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jimmys devoted View Post
                    With money being as tight as it is, there are a few things one an do to not only save money but also get some activity going.
                    Hang laundry instead of using a dryer.
                    Using a solar drier (umbrella dryer/ clothesline) is one way of getting some needed exercise without even knowing it and save on your electric bill. Leave your electric/gas drier for rainy days.
                    By carrying damp clothes which weigh on average 20-30 pounds outside to the clothesline you have carried, lifted and now using your arms above your head gotten some mild forms of aerobics. fighting with wet clothes is not easy. Now you have to remove the dry clothes and fold them and begin a next load. Its exercise at its finest.

How about mowing the lawn with say a standard push mower or old fashioned rotor blade mower?
                    yeah about that. If your yard is small there s no need for a major lawnmower. You have to push, pull and walk to get the job done with an old fashioned one. It saves on pollutants too!

Hand hoeing a garden. Yes a hoe. simple plop back and forth movement will break up and kill weeds and keep you garden soil soft. perfect for plots of 30 feet by 12 rows or less. Plus no gasoline pollutants to get into the air or spending money on fuel.

So these are just a few ideas that will save you money, get you outside and moving..
                    Thanks for sharing such a wonderful information..I have never used solar drier but I will try to get it now..I need some exercise to control diabetes

Comment

Working...
                    X