Freestyle Libre is a new continuous glucose monitoring system (CGM) for individual patient use. It can help you improve and control your diabetes for patients 18 years of age or older. The Freestyle Libre system does require a prescription. It can help you track blood glucose trends, both high and low, without a finger stick which may lead to a lower A1C. It is user-friendly and offers current glucose readings, arrow trends and 8-hour glucose histories.
This small discreet device is the size of 2 stacked quarters, and it measures glucose every minute. It consists of a wireless device worn on the body, called a sensor. Currently, placement is only approved for the back of the upper arm. Vary the location on both upper arms to avoid skin irritation. try avoiding placement near insulin shots. The sensor is self-inserted into the interstitial fluid (not capillary blood) and worn up to 14 days before changing. Apply sensor with disposable applicator filament directly under the skin. Most patients do not feel the sensor, once in place.
Importantly, it can assist with the management of your medications, help you understand your lifestyle adjustments such as food selections and physical activity, and prevent future diabetes complications by tracking blood glucose levels consistently. The Freestyle Libre system also has a handheld reader which when swiped over the sensor, gives you immediate blood sugar results, without a finger stick. The handheld reader scans the sensor in 1 second. The handheld reader stores 90 days of data.
- Sensor pack and sensor applicator must have the same codes.
- After 14 days, the reader notifies user when the sensor has ended and should be replaced with a new sensor.
- Remove sensor easily by pulling on the adhesive. Remove excess adhesive with warm, soapy water.
- May be worm while bathing, showering, and even swimming.
- Only up to 3 feet of water for a maximum of 30 minutes.
- It does not require finger stick calibrations since it has been calibrated in the factory.
- The Freestyle Libre reader device offers notification of highs and lows when you swipe the sensor. There is an arrow and graph displaying results. Perform initial reading after just 1-hour warm-up period.
- States “HI” with readings over 500mg/dl, and “LO” with readings under 40mg/dl.
- Reader automatically shuts off in 60 seconds after reading the sensor. Recharge reader after approximately 7 days of use.
- Reader contains a built-in blood glucose meter, the Freestyle Precision. The meter should be used with a finger stick, when you think the glucose readings from the sensor is inconsistent with the way you feel, symptoms do not match the readings, you suspect inaccurate readings, or you see the Check Blood Glucose symbol.
- Swipe the reader over the sensor, at least every 8 hours for the best performance.
- Freestyle software is free for you and your health care provider to download. Obtain pattern reports and a daily glucose summary.
- The Freestyle Libre Link App is now available.
- Sensor kits and reader kits are sold separately.
What you should not do with the Freestyle Libre system
- Do not reuse the sensor. They are single-use for a single patient only.
- Do not wear during intense exercise, promoting excessive perspiration which may cause the sensor to loosen and give inaccurate results.
- Remove during medical tests: MRI, CT-scan, diathermy treatment or during X-rays, including airport scanners. Request a different way of being checked through airport security.
- Do not use if you have hypoglycemic unawareness since the Freestyle Libre System does not contain audible, automatic alarms which further alert you to highs and lows. This is especially important when you are sleeping since you will not be swiping the sensor. It only gives you readings when the handheld reader swipes the sensor.
- Extreme periods of dehydration may lead to inaccurate sensor results.
- Do not use while pregnant or critically ill.
- Do not ignore symptoms of hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia. Use a finger stick with the Freestyle Precision meter, when in question.
The Freestyle Libre System is a new technology which is easy and convenient to use for those patients with diabetes who want to track their blood sugars without multiple, daily finger sticks. It can help you better manage your diabetes, prevent diabetes complications and lower your A1C levels.