Dirty Rice with Sausage is a classic Cajun home-style recipe that’s traditionally made with chicken gizzards (you can substitute 1 cup of peanuts or pine nuts) and add them with the onion.
- 2 cups chicken livers and gizzards
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage
- 3 tablespoons corn oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 scallions, chopped (white and light green parts only)
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups cooked white rice
- Add the chicken livers and gizzards to a saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a simmer, then cook over medium heat for 10 minutes. Drain the livers and gizzards and chop them.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, add the sausage and cook, stirring to break up the meat, until its well browned. (Hard sausage such as andoille will need to be chopped before cooking.) Transfer the meat to a plate, and drain off the fat.
- Add the oil to the drained skillet. Put it back over medium heat and add the chicken livers and gizzards, onion, bell pepper, celery, scallions, garlic, salt, and black pepper. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables have softened, about 15 minutes. Stire in the cooked rice and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes more. Serve hot.
Contributed By: Celebrity Chef Charles Mattocks
Latest posts by ADW Diabetes (see all)
- Make a Commitment to Fitness - April 5, 2017
- What May Cause Your Muscle Aches and Pains When You Have Diabetes? - April 3, 2017
- Overlooked Cheap and Healthy Foods - March 29, 2017