- 1/2 cup Splenda Granular
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup reduced calorie margarine, melted (25% less fat and calories)
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and diced into 1/4 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Splenda Granular
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons reduced calorie margarine (25% less fat and calories)
- Preheat Oven at 350°F (180°C).
- Spray 9 x 9 x 2 inch metal baking pan with vegetable cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine Splenda Granular, flour, cinnamon and margarine. Stir until well blended.
- Separate mixture into small clumps, approximately 1/4 teaspoon each and place on cookie sheet. Bake 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature and crumble into fine, uniform texture. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine apple pieces and lemon juice.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, Splenda Granular and cinnamon.
- Sprinkle over apples and stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Add melted margarine to mixture and stir until combined. Set aside.
- 1/2 cup softened reduced calorie margarine (24% less fat and calories)
- 3/4 cup egg substitute at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup Splenda Granular
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, shifted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk at room temperature
- In a large mixing bowl, beat margarine with an electric mixer on high speed for 1 minute. Add egg substitute and beat on high for 1 minute. Add Splenda Granular and beat on medium speed until thoroughly blended, about 1 minute.
- In medium bowl, stir together flour, baking soda and baking powder.
- Add 1/2 cup of the flour mixture into the margarine / egg mixture. Beat on low speed until ingredients are blended.
- Add 1/4 cup fat-free milk to above mixture. Beat on low speed until ingredients are blended.
- Add another 1/2 cup of the flour mixture to above mixture. Beat on low speed until ingredients are blended.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared pan. Spread apple layer evenly over cake layer. Sprinkle topping over apple layer and press in lightly.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cake.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
|Nutritional Info (per serving):|
|Makes 16 Servings|
Recipe courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics.
Marlene graduated Magna Cum Laude with a degree in nutrition from U.C.L.A. in 1986 and is one of a select group of dietitians to hold an advanced certificate in Child and Adolescent Weight Management from the American Dietetic Association. Combining her love of food with her educational foundation, she has held such positions as Hospital Foodservice Director, Nutrition Professor, Cooking Instructor for the Columbus State Culinary Academy and as a national nutrition educator to chefs for the American Culinary Federation. Her passion for teaching others how to make healthy food taste delicious also extend to her private nutrition practice specializing in weight loss, diabetes, and wellness.
Marlene loves to teach (and to eat!); her energetic and upbeat style has made her a popular food and nutrition speaker for organizations such as the American Diabetes and American Heart Associations and sought after for television and radio appearances which have included affiliates for ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX and Shaw TV (Vancouver) and radio stations nationwide.