Sugar-Free Chocolate Eclairs
Makes 8 servings.
½ cup water
¼ cup butter(no substitutes)
½ cup all-purpose flour
2 large eggs
1¼ cups cold fat-free milk
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (1-ounce) package sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
1 cup fat-free whipped topping
1½ cups cold fat-free milk
1 (1.4-ounce) package sugar-free instant chocolate pudding mix
1. In a saucepan, bring water and butter to a boil. Add flour all at once, stirring until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny. Transfer to a resealable plastic bag; seal.
2. Cut a 1-inch hole in one corner of bag. Pipe eight 3½-inch logs onto an ungreased baking sheet.
3. Bake at 450°F (230°C) for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 400°F (205°C); bake 15 to 20 minutes longer or until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack. Immediately cut a slit in each to allow steam to escape; cool.
4. Carefully cut off tops. Set the tops aside. Remove soft dough from the inside with a fork.
5. For Vanilla Filling: In a mixing bowl, beat milk, vanilla and pudding on low speed for 2 minutes or until thickened. Fold in whipped topping; set aside.
6. For Chocolate Topping: In another mixing bowl, beat milk and chocolate pudding mix for 2 minutes or until thickened.
7. Spoon vanilla filling into eclairs; replace tops. Spread with chocolate topping.
Nutritional Info (per serving):
Fat 7g (4g Saturated)
Trace amounts of fiber
Diabetic exchanges: 1½ starch, 1 Fat