Cinnamon Almond Coffeecake
Makes 16 servings.
1 (16-ounces) package hot roll mix
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground allspice
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
¾ cup Equal® Spoonful**
1 large egg
2 tablespoons stick butter or margarine
½ cup fat-free sour cream
¾ cup very hot tap water
¼ cup toasted sliced almonds (optional)
** May substitute 18 packets Equal sweetener
1. Combine flour and yeast from hot roll mix in medium bowl. Add spices, lemon peel and 3/4 cup Equal®; mix well. Stir in remaining ingredients except Mixed Fruit Filling and almonds, to make soft dough.
2. Knead dough on lightly floured surface about 5 minutes or until smooth. Cover dough with bowl; let stand 15 minutes.
3. Divide dough into 2 equal pieces. Roll 1 piece on floured surface into 20 x 6-inch rectangle. Spread half of Mixed Fruit Filling over dough to within 1-inch of edges. Roll up dough, beginning with long edge.
4. Place dough, seam side down, on sprayed baking sheet; shape into a ring, pinching ends together to seal. Cut around sides of ring with scissors, cutting through center of dough and leaving top and bottom of ring uncut. Gently open cut surfaces of dough to expose filling. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Let stand in warm place about 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
5. Bake coffeecakes in preheated 350°F oven about 15 minutes or until dough is browned. Slide coffeecakes onto wire racks to cool. Sprinkle with almonds, if desired.
Nutritional Info (per serving):
Food Exchanges: 1½ fruit, 1½ starch, ½ fat.
Mixed Fruit Filling
2½ cups chopped mixed dried fruit
1½ cups apple cider or unsweetened apple juice
1 cup Equal® Spoonful*
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
* May substitute 24 packets Equal sweetener
1. Combine dried fruit, apple cider, 1 cup Equal® and 1 teaspoon lemon peel in medium saucepan. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, about 10 minutes or until cider is almost evaporated, stirring occasionally. Cool.
Tips: Coffeecakes can also be made into a heart, horseshoe or other desired shapes. After forming, cut dough as directed above in recipe. A single dried fruit such as apricots, pears or apples can be substituted for the mixed dried fruit, if desired.
Recipe provided courtesy of Merisant Corporation ® and the NutraSweet Company, makers of Equal®.