Chicken Madeira on Herbed Biscuits
Makes 6 servings.
1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
4½ cups quartered fresh mushrooms
½ cup chopped onion
1 cup low-fat sour cream
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup skim milk
½ cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons Madeira or dry sherry
Green onions, thinly sliced for garnish (optional)
1. In a large skillet cook chicken in oil over medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove chicken; set aside.
2. Add garlic, mushrooms and onion to skillet. Cook, uncovered, for 4 to 5 minutes or until liquid evaporates.
3. In a bowl stir together sour cream, flour, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
4. Add sour cream mixture, milk, and broth to skillet. Cook and stir until bubbly. Cook 1 minute more.
5. Add chicken and Madeira or sherry; heat through. Serve over Herbed Biscuits. Sprinkle with additional sliced green onions if desired.
1¾ cup biscuit mix
2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion
½ teaspoon dried basil, crushed
½ cup skim milk
1. In a mixing bowl stir together biscut mix, green onions and basil. Add milk; stir just until dough clings together.
2. On a floured surface knead dough 10 to 12 strokes. Roll out to a ½-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch biscuit cutter, cut dough into 12 biscuits. Reroll the trimmings as necessary.
3. Bake biscuits on an ungreased baking sheet in a 425°F (220°C) oven for about 12 minutes.
Nutritional Info (per serving):