Makes 10 servings.
½ cup SPLENDA® Sugar Blend for Baking
2 tablespoons water
1 (13½ ounce) can coconut milk
1½ cups skim milk
3 large eggs
3 egg yolks
⅓ cup SPLENDA® Sugar Blend for Baking
½ teaspoon almond extract
¾ cup flaked coconut
½ cup sliced almonds, toasted
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
2. Combine ½ cup SPLENDA® Sugar Blend for Baking and water in a small heavy saucepan; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves.
3. Continue cooking, without stirring, until mixture is golden in color (about 4 minutes). Immediately pour mixture evenly into a 9-inch cake pan.
4. Mixture will harden and may crack slightly as it cools.
5. Combine coconut milk and skim milk in a saucepan; bring to a boil.
6. Beat eggs and yolks at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy. Gradually add ⅓ cup SPLENDA® Sugar Blend for Baking, beating until blended. Gradually add hot milks, beating until blended. Add almond extract and coconut; beat at low speed until blended. Pour mixture over caramelized SPLENDA® Sugar Blend for Baking. Place cake pan in a roasting pan. Add hot water to a depth of 1-inch in the roasting pan.
7. Bake for 40 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Remove cake pan from water and cool on a wire rack at least 30 minutes; cover and chill for 8 hours or overnight. Loosen edges with a thin knife. Invert flan onto serving plate; sprinkle with toasted almonds.
Nutritional Info (per serving):
Calories from Fat: 150
Total Fat: 17g
Saturated Fat: 10g
Total Carbs: 23g
Dietary Fiber: 2g
Exchanges Per Serving: 1½ Starches, 3 Fats
Cook's Note: To toast almonds, spread on an ungreased baking pan. Bake in a 350°F oven 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally until lightly browned.
Recipe courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics.