Pasta served with sausage and peppers is traditional Italian fare. We’ve lightened it up by making the flavors into a fresh sauce that goes well with any pasta, particularly a tubular or ridged pasta that catches the sauce in every bite. Sausaged and Peppered Pasta is a delicious, quick and easy recipe that you’re sure to enjoy!
- 8 ounces penne, ziti, or other pasta
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for the pasta
- 3/4 pound hot or sweet Italian sausages (2 or 3 sausages)
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion (preferably a sweet onion such as Vidalia)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 pounds tomatoes, seeded and chopped, or one 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain and toss with a little olive oil to keep it from sticking together, and cover to keep warm. Set aside
- Fill a large skillet halfway with water. Price the sausages with a fork, add them to the water in the skillet, turn the heat up to high, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium-high and boil for 5 minutes. (The sausages do not need to be fully cooked at this point). Drain. Rinse the sausages under cold water. Run a sharp knife down the length of each sausage and peel off the casing. Using a serrated knife, cut the sausages into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- Wipe the skillet clean and add 2 tablespoons of the oil. Set over medium-high heat and heat the oil until it shimmers. Add the bell pepper, onion, and carlic and cook, stirring, to flavor the oil, for about 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and the sliced sausage. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring frequently, until the sausages are cooked and the bell pepper is tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine the remaining 1 tablespoon oil with the lemon juice and Italian seasoning. Stir the mixture into the hot drained pasta.
- In a large serving bowl, combine the pasta with the sausage mixture, toss, and serve immediately.
Latest posts by ADW Diabetes (see all)
- ADW Diabetes Supports The 2nd Annual Naples Diabetes Conference - November 23, 2016
- Restaurant Code Words to Watch Out For - November 21, 2016
- Cardio vs. Weight Resistance Training - November 14, 2016