Proper foot care is paramount to the overall treatment of diabetes; it is essential that utilizing any preventative measure to ensure the reduction of complications should be included in a treatment plan. It is also well established that wearing socks when you have diabetes is important for daily foot care but are there some better sock substitutes than others? Viscose, made from bamboo can offer multiple benefits for people with diabetes looking for a safe alternative to usual sock fabric options.
- Bamboo is a natural fiber grown without pesticides or chemicals. It is extremely soft like a rich cotton fiber after it is processed.
- Bamboo provides excellent wick protection – 60% better than cotton alone. This helps the foot stay dry and reduces the risk of fungus on the toenails or athlete’s foot.
- Bamboo is hypoallergenic, non-irritating and great for sensitive skin. People with diabetes have extra dry and sensitive skin.
- Bamboo is odor resistant, antibacterial, anti-fungal and has anti-static properties.
- Bamboo is extremely durable as well as being eco-friendly. Bamboo takes in greenhouse gases and produces more oxygen, up to 35% more than an equal amount of trees.
- Bamboo fits the foot snuggly, hugs the foot without feeling bulky; this feature reduces the risk of rubbing which leads to blister formation and foot complications.
- Bamboo is renewable and sustainable-It grows quickly and regenerates easily without replanting since it is a grass.
- Bamboo has a thermo-regulating quality which helps keep feet warm in the winter and cool in the summer. People with diabetes often have difficulty with temperature regulation due to circulatory problems.
- Bamboo is a critical source of food for the Panda bear but not the “Moso” bamboo used to produce socks.
- Bamboo socks are easy to maintain with normal machine washing and drying especially when turned inside out and dried on a low temperature.
- Bamboo has UV protection without added chemicals which can help prevent sunburn, a severe complication for people with diabetes.
Ecosox is a leader in the production of bamboo socks; they are made in the United States and come in various styles, patterns, as well as colors; many patients find diabetic socks only in white and although white socks are good for possible recognition of a foot problem, some occasions call for dark dress socks. Ecosox have an expandable top which increases comfort even when the legs are swollen; they are non-constricting and non-binding, yet they do not fall and bunch up around the ankles like other socks. These socks contain added cushioning in the heel and ball of the foot which expands protection as well as adding to the level of comfort; the arch support reduces the amount of fatigue often seen when standing for long periods of time.
NOTE: Consult your Doctor first to make sure my recommendations fit your special health needs.