For low sodium diets, omit the salt.
- 1 (1/4-ounce) package active dry yeast or 2 1/2 teaspoons
- 1 teaspoon honey (needed for yeast action)
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm water (110 to 115°F / 45°C) water
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine the flours and salt in a large mixing bowl. Make a well; pour yeast mixture into center and stir until dough can be gathered into a ball. Knead dough floured board until smooth.
- Place dough in a large, lightly oiled bowl. Cover with a damp towel and place in a dry, draft-free place until dough has doubled, 1 to 2 hours.
- Punch down dough; place on lightly floured board. Divide dough into 12 equal pieces. Shape into circles and place on nonstick baking sheets. Allow to rest, covered with damp towel for 30 minutes.
- On lightly floured surface, roll out each piece of dough to a circle, about 5-inches in diameter. Place on baking sheets; let stand about 30 minutes.
- Bake on middle rack of preheated 500°F (250°C) oven for 5 minutes. Remove pitas from baking sheets and let cool on rack. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.
- To serve, reheat wrapped in aluminum foil at 350°F (175°C) for 10 minutes.
Food Exchanges: 1 1/2 bread/Starch
|Nutritional Info (per serving):|
|Makes 12 Servings|
Recipe provided courtesy of The Art of Cooking for the Diabetic by Mary Abbott Hess, R.D., M.S.