Far more than any other football game, the Super Bowl is a sporting event like no other, watched and celebrated by millions coast to coast at parties big and small. No matter what the outcome of the game may be, on Super Bowl Sunday, one thing is for certain – there is a “super bowl” of snacking! In fact, besides Thanksgiving Day, experts say that Americans consume more calories as a nation on Super Bowl Sunday than on any other day of the year.
Tackling Excess Fat, Carbs and Calories
But enjoying the big game does not mean you have to drop the ball when it comes to watching your healthy diet. While it’s true that a typical Super Bowl party has fat laden buffalo wings and dips, carb heavy snacks and sweets, and beer and other caloric drinks abound, there are also lots of superfoods you can enjoy that will keep you feeling fit, too.
To score when it comes to your health as a host, be sure to include plenty of healthy choices for you and your guests. If you are a guest, offer to bring a dish or two to ensure you will have some tasty guilt-free munchies within reach. And lastly, while the party may last for four to five hours, the eating should not. Holding a glass of water or other non-caloric beverage in your “reaching” hand, chewing a piece of sugar-free gum, sitting out of reach from any nibbles, and socializing are all great ways to curb mindless munching.
Sixteen Super Super Bowl Eats
- Guacamole (watch the portion to control calories)
- Sweet Red Pepper Hummus
- To create your own reduced fat dips swap out full fat mayonnaise with equal parts reduced fat mayonnaise and low-fat plain yogurt.
- Fresh vegetable tray filled with non-starchy vegetables like baby carrots, cucumber slices, broccoli, cauliflower, sweet pepper strips, pea pods, jicama and celery
- Deviled eggs made with reduced fat mayonnaise
- Turkey meatballs – plain or served with marinara
- Reduced-fat Buffalo Chicken Bites with Blue Cheese Dressing
- Marinated mushrooms
- A fresh green salad or reduced-fat coleslaw
- Shrimp served with cocktail sauce
- Quesadillas made with high-fiber tortillas and reduced fat cheese
- Mixed unsalted whole nuts (shelling them slows you down and keeps hands busy)
- A plate of fresh orange wedges
- Angel food cake slices served with light whipped topping and berries
- My favorite perfectly proportioned “super” Super Bowl Chili
Enjoy the game!
Contributed By: Marlene Koch