Jersey Jambalay is a delicious recipe that goes well on rice. I don’t know if this recipe is actually from New Jersey, but it’s a simplified East Coast version of the New Orleans classic. For the sake of convenience, the frozen green beans with mushrooms are an acceptable substitute for fresh vegetables.
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 pound shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 16-ounce can tomatoes, drained
- 1 9-ounce package frozen green beans with mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 dashes of Tabasco sauce
- Cook the rice according to the package directions, but stop the cooking 10 minutes before it’s done. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil until it shimmers in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and onion and cook, stirring, until the shrimp begins to turn pink. Add the tomatoes, beans with mushrooms, 2/3 cup water, the salt, pepper, thyme, and Tabasco. Bring to a boil, separating the frozen vegetables. Reduce the heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the partly cooked rice. Cover and simmer for 10 more minutes, until the rice is done.
Contributed By: Celebrity Chef Charles Mattocks
Latest posts by ADW Diabetes (see all)
- Inolife R&D Signs LOI With ADW Diabetes to Make Its Inojex Needle-Free Injector Available to Diabetics in USA - April 12, 2018
- Sexual Health & Diabetes - March 13, 2018
- 7 Creative New Year Resolutions for People with Diabetes - December 26, 2017