Fiesta Cornbread Pie is a quick dish to prepare, but allow for an hour before you’re going to eat since it needs time in the oven. You can substitute canned corn kernels for the fresh or frozen corn; drain them well and add them only after the other ingredients are cooked. If you buy dried kidney beans to use instead of the canned beans called for in the recipe, soak and precook them according to the package directions before using.
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 small can green chiles, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 4 cups canned kidney beans, rinsed, drained, and mashed
- 1 6.5-ounce package cornbread mix
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Add the onion and 2 tablespoons water to a large skillet over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the corn, bell pepper, tomato sauce, green chiles, and chili powder and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, stir in the mashed beans, and cook for 10 minutes more.
- Pour the bean mixture into a lightly greased 9" x 13" baking dish. Prepare the cornbread mix batter according to the package directions and spread it over the beans. Bake for about 45 minutes, or until the cornbreak is golden. Cut into squares to serve.
Contributed By: Celebrity Chef Charles Mattocks
Latest posts by ADW Diabetes (see all)
- Sexual Health & Diabetes - March 13, 2018
- 7 Creative New Year Resolutions for People with Diabetes - December 26, 2017
- Zesty Broccoli Salad - October 10, 2017