- 1 (1 1/2 pound) salmon fillet
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans
- 1/2 cup chopped and seeded red or green bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried onion
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/8 teaspoon garlic powder, divided use
- 1 cup sliced, peeled and pitted mango
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Season salmon with salt and pepper to taste.
- Grill or bake salmon at 425°F for 10 minutes per inch of thickness, or until fish flakes easily with fork. Hold warm.
- Meanwhile, drain beans, reserving 1/3 cup liquid.
- In a small saucepan, combine beans, reserved liquid, bell pepper, onion, cumin, coriander, chili powder, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder and salt to taste. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Combine mango, cider vinegar, mustard and remaining garlic powder to taste in a food processor or blender. Process until smooth. Transfer to a microwavable dish and heat 1 to 2 minutes until warm.
- To serve, spoon blackbeans onto serving platter, top with salmon fillet. Drizzle with mango mustard sauce over salmon and beans.
Makes 6 Servings.
Note: To peel a mango – stand the mango on end and slice down along the sides of the large flat pit with a boning knife or other long, flexible knife, curving around the pit as you slice. You will end up with three sections: two larger, rounder sections and a flat center section. Score the fruit in each rounded section lenghtwise into slices, then crosswise into chunks, if desired. Holding a rounded section by its edges, push the curved bottom to turn the rind inside out. The slices or chunks can then be cut away from the rind. Trim away rind from the flat center section and separate as much fruit as possible from the pit. Always cut away from yourself and be careful. Mango is very slippery.
Recipe courtesy of Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute.
Latest posts by ADW Diabetes (see all)
- Sexual Health & Diabetes - March 13, 2018
- 7 Creative New Year Resolutions for People with Diabetes - December 26, 2017
- Zesty Broccoli Salad - October 10, 2017