Getting Insurance With Diabetes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Insurance With Diabetes

How hard is it to get insurance when you have diabetes as a pre-existing condition?

Pretty darn hard. Here in California, when my COBRA expired, the only coverage I could get was State mandated HIPAA coverage, which has big copayments and costs me a ton (nearly $500 per month JUST for me - a 48 year old diabetic).

Comment

I think it is hard.

Comment

If you are trying to get insurance on your own it will be close to impossible to do it.

On the other hand, if you have a job that offers froup insurance they cannot reject you.

Comment

I know this family with nine children.
          The mom has diabetes. The family cannot get a package insurance, because of the mom. The company won't approve them.

Their only option is to get a local government job that comes with insurance for the entire family already.

Comment

It is generally hard to get insurance in such cases.Most of the companies won't like to pay higher for health risks due to diabetes.

Comment

It sounds lke one would be better off if they could get SSI disability. At least they would have access to Medicare!

What do these people do? Do they simply stop taking their medications?

This is also an arguments against screenings and physical exams. Uncovering conditions can lead to your being denied health coverage!

Comment

It's Very Difficult

Getting health insured with a pre-existing conditions is **** near impossible as one has already stated in an earlier post. I have had the phone hung up on me multiple times as soon as I tell them that I am diabetic. It is an unfortunate thing, but that's just the way the system is right now.

If you do have a large group insurance plan they can not deny you. However, if it is a smaller group plan, they can still deny you. If you do not have credible coverage for a certain time period, they can treat it the same as private insurance, and deny you because of a pre-existing condition.

It is a disgrace that diabetics who are not currently insured have to take a job that sucks, just so they can get insurance.

Comment

Can congress or a new administration help??

Can we benefit from a new administration coming next year. Is there someone in congress or senate that can look toward our needs at this time?? I know its not easy but can atleast be fair

Comment

Health insurance

I had the smeblem. I fund health insurance through a profssional magazine for daiebtics. but the premium per month was HIGH, 423 per month for me at my age.

If yougo through teh Diabetes magazines you can find life insurance and medical insurance companies advertising.
                    One ting though your coverage might be three or four times as much as you pay out of pocket and you will still have dedutables on an out of pocket expenses. If you can get to a free clinic then you can get PPA for prescriptions so that will drop your cots allot and then if you need hospital work finance department at the hospitals are mre adventageous than insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by Florentin View Post
                      I know this family with nine children.
                      The mom has diabetes. The family cannot get a package insurance, because of the mom. The company won't approve them.

Their only option is to get a local government job that comes with insurance for the entire family already.

How is it that this woman doesn't qualify for disability or Social Security Supplemental income, if she is employed part time?

I asked about disability in another place but was told to look here, and I don't see the answer yet.

LOL

Comment

Originally posted by jimmys devoted View Post

I had the smeblem. I fund health insurance through a profssional magazine for daiebtics. but the premium per month was HIGH, 423 per month for me at my age.

If yougo through teh Diabetes magazines you can find life insurance and medical insurance companies advertising.
                        One ting though your coverage might be three or four times as much as you pay out of pocket and you will still have dedutables on an out of pocket expenses. If you can get to a free clinic then you can get PPA for prescriptions so that will drop your cots allot and then if you need hospital work finance department at the hospitals are mre adventageous than insurance.
                        How many diabetics simply skip trying to get health insurance? When they do, what happens?

Comment

I recently worked for a company that assisted with the annual benefits enrollment process for a large employer. As someone stated earlier, you can get health insurance if employed full time with a company that offers group insurance. However, if that is not an option, there are websites out there that help you find affordable health care and compare prices. You can find them by using a search engine like Google and typing in "health insurance for diabetics" in the "Search" box. If someone has tried this already, I'm curious to find out the results.

Comment

Working...
                          X