With summer just around the corner, it’s time to break out the grill! Summer is the perfect season to head outdoors to cook up some of your favorite foods. One of the great things about grilling is that it’s a naturally healthy method of cooking. Grilling allows the fat to drip from the meat, rather than cooking inside it, and of course with grilling, there is no gravy!
There are several ways to ensure your grilled feast is as nutritious as it is delicious. The first is to start with lean meats. Studies show that the leanest cuts of red meat and pork can be as healthful as all white meat chicken. When starting with your traditional favorite cuts, why not try a one of these equally delicious swaps?
- Try lean pork tenderloin grilled whole or in kebobs as a stand in for ribs.
- Shop for 93% lean ground turkey breast or 95% lean beef for better burgers.
- Marinated top sirloin sliced on thin on the grain can replace the old t-bone steak.
- For a touch of elegance, replace filet mignon with grilled shrimp or scallop kabobs.
- When shopping, look for the word “loin” on the package. This indicates the meat is lean.
Next give the meat a rub, or a marinade for that matter. Rubs, herbs and marinades can add extra flavor and tenderness to lean meats. Create your own dry rub by simply mixing together your favorite spices, and pat on the meat. Use your favorite low-fat vinaigrette dressing for a great last-minute marinade and you can’t beat a sprinkling of fresh fragrant herbs.
Lastly, don’t forget that grilling isn’t only for meats! Incredible flavor-rich fruits and vegetables are fantastic on the grill. Branch out from the ordinary to grill something special.
- Grilled peaches and pineapple are delectable when topped with just a whisper of brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Asparagus is amazing when drizzled with nothing more than olive oil and lemon juice.
- Lightly rub some reduced fat margarine on a sliced banana. Sprinkle it with a packet of sugar substitute and cinnamon just before grilling.
Here is a terrific recipe to get you started.