Working as a diabetes nurse educator I am always looking for a convenient, affordable and great tasting snack to help my patients relieve their hunger, feel treat satisfied and make them confident that their blood sugars will not spike. I often recommend these snack choices to them and I am delighted to share how Extend Nutrition products can help you too!
Extend Nutrition was founded in 2000 with the commitment of helping customers feel good about snacking while adding positive benefits. It was originally created by Dr. Francine Kaufman; a world recognized endocrinologist, and former president of the American Diabetes Association. In her own kitchen, Dr. Kaufman was determined to find a reasonable solution for her patients who suffered from hypoglycemia – or low blood sugar episodes – especially during the night time. She developed a complex carbohydrate formula using uncooked cornstarch (a low glycemic carbohydrate source) as the key ingredient. Uncooked corn starch is metabolized slowly and prevents blood sugars from spiking. Over the years, Extend Nutrition has taken this formula further and created some wonderfully scrumptious snacks which can help maintain your blood sugars, yet satisfy your hunger and cravings. The mission at Extend Nutrition is to “to reverse the perception that convenient foods are unhealthy by nature.” They stand behind all their products. The product lines are gluten free, high in protein, portable, portion controlled, high in fiber, reasonable in price, low in net carbohydrates while offering balanced nutrition and long lasting energy. They actually taste amazing and are not only enjoyed by people with diabetes. People who exercise and want a snack following their workout eat them as well, as people who want to lose or maintain their weight, but still want to enjoy a terrific treat.
What are the benefits?
- Most people with diabetes are always hungry and looking for something to eat. Many snack foods are broken down quickly and cause a sharp blood sugar rise. Insulin is then released and that pushes the blood sugar back down. This can create feelings of fatigue and cravings with a desire to repeat snacking. Then the cycle begins; the response becomes one of eating, spiking blood sugar and crashing. If you do not have the proper insulin secretion as in uncontrolled diabetes then the response is that the blood sugars remain elevated. Hunger may still be present. Extend nutrition products with uncooked corn starch, protein and good fats can help keep your appetite suppressed and keep you from munching all day long. They are broken down slowly and can last up to 6 hours during the normal day time activities (when we metabolize foods quicker) and up to 9 hours during restful sleep.
- Studies have shown that Extend foods can decrease calorie consumption by 21% at the next meal when eaten as a snack. They are packaged in portion sizes to prevent over eating and come in a variety of flavors as well as snack choices.
- Extend Nutrition products can help you control your weight by reducing fat storage.
- Extend bars help prevent night time lows up to 75% if eaten as a bedtime snack. Hypoglycemia can be caused by many reasons but Extend can help balance these problems before they begin. Extend can also help the morning swings which often occur after low blood sugars during the night. Extend can reduce morning hyperglycemia by 28%.
- The Extend Nutrition website offers support information on multiple clinical studies and proven results as well as personal testimonials to boost your confidence concerning their products.
Extend Nutrition products come in bars, shakes, chips and drizzles.
- Bars – These bars are snack foods which are delicious and basically guilt free. They come in Delight bars with 0-1 gram of sugar and flavors of chocolate, peanut butter, apple cinnamon and mixed berry. The crunch bars are more like candy bars, yet contain only 10 grams of sugar – and are sweet, crunchy, savory and very indulgent.
- Shakes – The shakes can be used to replace a meal when time is limited and come in flavors of chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry. They are satisfying, flavorful, nutritious, contain a reasonable amount of calories and are high in protein, minerals and vitamins.
- Crisps – The crisps are high in fiber and can be used in place of regular chips or crackers without the salt load and blood sugar spike. They can be part of a meal or just a snack. Flavors include cheddar, Italian herb, zesty ranch, honey barbecue and cinnamon.
- Drizzles – My favorite! They are sweet, crunchy and a great treat substitute when you have diabetes with only 2 grams of sugar. They come in yummy chocolate or caramel.
Extend nutrition products are a wonderful snack or meal replacement to consider whether you have diabetes or not. Good taste without a lot of sugar and the ability to keep you satiated for longer periods of time. The best part is no blood sugar spikes which lead to more cravings. Try them today!
NOTE: Consult your Doctor first to make sure my recommendations fit your special health needs.