We are in the peak of the holiday eating and drinking season. Many people find themselves over eating during this two month period compared to the rest of the year. It is a cherished time to share with family and friends, yet it can focus around home cooked goodies, huge quantities of food as well as store made treats. It is difficult to resist all the delicious selections on the buffet table, but when you have diabetes it needs to become more of a priority.
Many of my patients succumb to the festivities, possibly consuming too much food at one time and making less desirable food choices; food temptation is all around and will-power can diminish during the stress and excitement of the holidays. Most of you will get right back to your regular eating routines after the holiday season but others may find it extremely difficult; the break from usual routines can set you up for future over eating. Try to analyze what you may need to help you get through this holiday season with reasonable eating that allows for some treats. I have seen patients who had initial diabetes visits prior to Thanksgiving and have already attended follow up visits. Some of them gained up to 10 pounds. They were frustrated with the weight gain which impacted their blood sugars but we have discussed strategies to get back to healthy food choices with portion control and great snack ideas. I shared a worthwhile tip to get them through the next few weeks of eating and I am happy to share it with you!
Extend Snacks are the perfect way to keep your blood sugars balanced during the holiday and still indulge in a tasty satisfying low fat, low to no sugar treat. These snacks can be eaten before the party to keep you away from too many hors d’oeuvres during cocktail hour or during the party to hold something edible in your hand along with a club soda.
ExtendSnacks are the only snack that can help stabilize your blood sugars from 6 – 9 hours. ExtendSnacks were created by Dr. Francine Kaufman who has worked in the field of Diabetes and Endocrinology for years. She wanted a reasonable great tasting snack for her own patients and participated in the research to develop the perfect product. The formula is a unique patented blend of slow burning carbohydrates, protein and fat. The slow burning carbohydrate is uncooked corn starch; the uncooked cornstarch breaks down gradually which allows the nutrients to be released in a continuous manner. Hunger is controlled for a longer period of time which is a big bonus when you have diabetes. The snack has a low glycemic index plus little or no sugar which reduces the roller coaster of routine snack eating. This prevents the ‘spike, crash and craving response’ which can occur with many other snack choices. Most snacks are metabolized in 1-2 hours and can cause a rapid rise in blood sugars. In response the body dumps out more insulin, causing another blood sugar drop, cravings follow and there is a need to eat again. ExtendSnacks stops this cycle; ExtendSnacks are considered heart healthy since they contain fiber, are cholesterol free and contain no trans–fats. Many patients say they taste delicious, their blood sugars do not bounce around, and they stay full longer with less temptation to eat other foods.
Beyond the holiday:
- ExtendSnacks help stabilize the blood sugar during the night when eaten as a bed time snack. It reduces hypoglycemia during the night up to 75%. It blunts the production of sugar from the liver during the night and lowers morning hyperglycemia up to 28%.
- It helps control hunger between meals and is shown to reduce calories at the next meal up to 21%.
- It can be used as a weight loss aid since it prevents fat storage and helps use the existing stored fat as energy instead of causing a surge in insulin.
- It gives you sustained energy instead of the high and low energy feeling since is a low glycemic carbohydrate and the insulin response is blunted.
- It is packaged in appropriate portion sizes, is gluten free, has low net carbs, is portable and reasonably priced.
- It is a great snack before a workout since it has protein and carbohydrate. It keeps your energy stable.
- It is a good product for type1, type 2, or gestational diabetes.
- It comes in velvety rich shakes, savory chips, sweet drizzles and Delight or Crunch bars. Flavors include chocolate, peanut, mixed berry or apple cinnamon depending on your product choice.
ExtendSnacks can get you through this holiday season and help you stay better focused on your eating goals. Continue to eat them after the holiday for all the wonderful reasons listed above. Stay healthy and enjoy the season!
NOTE: Consult your Doctor first to make sure my recommendations fit your special health needs.