ADW Diabetes recently had the chance to speak with the winner of TLC’s “The Next Great Baker”, Dana Herbert, about how people with diabetes can enjoy sweets during the holiday season. Herbert offers several tips that can benefit a person with diabetes, and focuses on his #1 rule – everything in moderation.
- You have won countless awards, including TLC’s “Next Great Baker” contest, for your ability to create art out of food. Has this affected your passion for healthy cooking and baking even more as your audience grows?
- I feel blessed for the accolades that I have been able to garner. I feel as though with great exposure comes great responsibility. I will always love cakes but I also know that with my family history, I have an increased responsibility to continue to educate and teach healthy cooking techniques nationwide.
- When it comes to desserts that are favorites for diabetics, I lean towards my sugar free cheesecake or my sugar free red velvet cake.
- When making red velvet cakes or cheesecake, look for the fat free cream cheeses to reduce fat intake.
- Vanilla is a great addition to recipes when you are looking to balance the flavor of aspartame. For diabetics looking to get into making desserts, start off with cobblers and pies. It’s much easier to flavor and sweeten the fillings with Splenda, Truvia, etc. Making cakes is a whole other ball of wax.
- Everything in moderation.
- Because I also teach healthy cooking, it makes it easier to deliver the message that you can substitute alternative sweeteners for sugar without sacrificing the final product.
- Yes, so far we have made 2 sugar free wedding cakes. And both parties enjoyed them!!
- Yes, I go back to rule #1 – Everything in moderation.
Latest posts by ADW Diabetes (see all)
- ADW Diabetes Supports The 2nd Annual Naples Diabetes Conference - November 23, 2016
- Restaurant Code Words to Watch Out For - November 21, 2016
- Cardio vs. Weight Resistance Training - November 14, 2016