Did you ever feel like having a chocolate fudge brownie, apple cinnamon coffee cake, key lime mousse or a few chocolate chip cookies but you felt too guilty to indulge? I must tell you that those days of forgoing the sweets are a thing of the past!
The increased number of lower sugar and sugar-free foods can help you reduce the “sugar-cravings” and their lower calories help you meet your calorie budget. Diabetes-friendly products such as Sans Sucre baking mixes allow you to consume delicious and decadent treats.
What impressed me most about the Sans Sucre (“without sugar”) products is they have zero fat, low-fat, or very low saturated or trans fat (heart healthy). They also have low sodium (heart and kidney healthy), low calories and no added sugar (for improved blood sugar and diabetes control).
What products like San Sucre do add is one of the two top alternative sweeteners available on the market: Stevia (Rebiana) or Splenda (Sucralose). In the Sans Sucre cake mixes you’ll find sugar alcohol, such as sorbitol, to slow down the release of sugar into the bloodstream so it may not rise as rapidly (those spikes and drops are what we try our best to avoid day in and day out).
I reviewed labels of some of the Sans Sucre desserts to help you understand their value. My mouth waters as I look at the Cheesecake Mix. It’s so easy to prepare! You simply combine skim milk with the Sans Sucre mix using an electric mixer for 5 minutes and chill for 1 – 2 hours prior to digging in! In a ½ cup serving there are:
- 70 calories
- 1½ grams of total fat (a low fat food has no more than 3 grams of fat per serving)
- ½ gram of saturated fat (that’s part of the total fat) which is considered low saturated fat
- 0 trans fat
- 8 mg of cholesterol (you’re allowed 200 mg per day)
- 80 mg of sodium (a low sodium food has 140 mg or less per serving)
- 8 grams of total carbohydrate (½ a carb serving)
- Even if you splurged and had 1 cup of this scrumptious treat you would only count it as 1 carbohydrate serving, like a fruit. The calories would be 120 – still not nearly as high as regular cheesecake or other sweet snack.
Another one of my favorites is the Key Lime Mousse. By the way, for those with Celiac disease (on gluten-free diets), Sans Sucre mousse mixes are all gluten-free. Enjoy a serving of the Key Lime Mousse without guilt.