High blood glucose levels increase your risk for tooth and gum problems. Just think of what happens to your teeth when you eat too much sugar!
- Brush and floss your teeth at least daily
- Schedule regular dental checkups and periodontal checkups if necessary
- Tell your dentist that you have diabetes
- Between checkups, call your dentist immediately if you have unusual pain, swelling or excessive bleeding
- Of course, keep your blood sugar in the best control
For additional information about keeping your teeth and gums healthy: “Prevent diabetes problems: Keep your teeth and gums healthy,” National Diabetes Information Clearinghouse (NDIC)