Owner Review of AlphaTRAK 2 Blood Glucose Monitoring System Starter Kit by Zoetis
FIVE STARS for ADWDiabetes.
I have to thank ADWDiabetes for having my dog’s AlphaTRAK 2 meter overnighted to me. Five stars for customer service!
As an RN, I’m familiar with blood glucose testing and blood glucose curves, but I wanted to point out a few things about the AlphaTRAK 2 glucose monitor. Hope this helps. I’ve also added some Notes to bring some costs to your attention.
1. THERE IS NO SOFTWARE. On pg i of the User Guide, it shows a “Data Port.” No cable comes with the product because the software is no longer supported. User Guide, pg 33, “Transferring test results to a computer…” again, the software is no longer supported as of my writing this May 22, 2017. The back of my User Guide is dated 09/15.
2. Zoetis, manufacturer of the AlphaTRAK 2 glucose monitor, only has 2 authorized dealers, and ADWDiabetes is one of them.
3. Note: Once committed to the AlphaTRAK 2 glucose monitor, you have to use “AlphaTRAK 2” branded test strips and control solutions; otherwise, you’ll get “inaccurate results.”
4. A LOT of printed information comes in this Starter Kit:
a. AlphaTRAK User Guide
b. AlphaTRAK Quick User’s Guide (too short, but does supplement the User Guide)
c. AlphaTRAK Lancing Device Instructions for Use
d. AlphaTRAK 2 Blood Glucose Test Strips Product Information Sheet
I suggest reading as much of this material as you can; it will help you in the long run.
I found a lot of information is not “kept together” in the same place. For example, in the Quick User’s Guide, step 6 mentions, “inserting the test strip with butterfly facing up and flying into the meter,” but in the User Guide, pg 12, step 5, it simply states “Insert test strip to turn meter on,” with no mention of the butterfly flying in.
5. Definitely take advantage of info at www.AlphaTrackMeter.com
6. Before taking any blood glucose readings with a new meter, the FIRST thing you have to do is “set up” your new meter, with instructions starting on pg 3 of the User Guide. I definitely recommend setting the volume so you can hear the beep that indicates enough blood is on the test strip. Setting the date and time allows you to look back at previous readings and see the date and time they were taken.
7. The SECOND thing you must do before taking your first blood glucose reading is to perform the “AlphaTRAK Control Solution Test,” with instructions starting on pg 26 of the User Guide. The Control Solution comes with the Starter Kit. YOU CANNOT SKIP THIS STEP as you are telling the meter if you are using it on a cat, dog, etc. The pet code is printed on the side of the Test Strip Vial. Also, performing the Control Solution Test “introduces” a new vial of test strips to your meter. Every time you open a new vial of test strips, you must do a Control Solution Test. $Note: Once you open a new bottle of AlphaTRAK Control Solution, it is only good for 3 months.
If you can read super small print, there is more in-depth information on the AlphaTRAK 2 Blood Glucose Test Strips Product Information Sheet. For example, “A control solution test should be performed” for a variety of reasons, such as “if the blood glucose meter is dropped.” Good to know.
8. NO RUBBING ALCOHOL is used to clean the area before lancing. Pg 8 of the User Guide states, “Wash your hands and the test site with warm water and soap to ensure accurate results. Thoroughly dry your hands and the test site.”
9. Where the blood goes on the test strips: Again, all the information is not in “one place.” In the User Guide, “Important Test Strip Information” is on pg 11 and a picture of a test strip is on pg 12, Section 4 and 5. The Quick User Guide has a small picture under #9. Trial and error discovery: Touch the formed drop of blood to ONE EDGE of the strip where there is a black dot