Duke - My Best Friend

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duke - My Best Friend

I have a six year old Yellow Lab named Duke. He was so playful up until recently. It seems as if he has lost some of his energy and is urinating much more then usual. I have not changed anything in his diet, feed him 2x per day on a healthy Royal Canin dry food. I'm concern he may have diabetes. How can I tell without going to the vet and having to spend over $100 for my visit.

There are several reasons for a pet to be urinating more often than usual. Diabetes is just one of them. It could be a urinary tract infection, a hormonal issue (like diabetes), psychogenic (sometimes labs drink excessively for no good reason), or a kidney issue. Step one would be a urinalysis. If you have recently been seen by your veterinarian, your vet may simply allow you to drop off a urine sample. If there is glucose in the urine then diabetes would be chased down. If infection: antibiotics. Typically you are looking at $40 or $50 for a urinalysis. Add in an exam fee and you may be hitting the $100 you speak of. Bloodwork clearly costs more. I think of a urinalysis as a poor man's chemistry profile. A urinalysis can tell us a lot. If money is tight right now, start by dropping a fresh urine sample off at your veterinarian. Don't let it sit around for hours. I mean fresh: catch the pee and drop it at your vet's office. If you do have to let it sit for a few hours, keep it in the fridge. Give Duke a big hug from us at ADW. Joi

Comment

Originally posted by BILLFISH10 View Post
      I have a six year old Yellow Lab named Duke. He was so playful up until recently. It seems as if he has lost some of his energy and is urinating much more then usual. I have not changed anything in his diet, feed him 2x per day on a healthy Royal Canin dry food. I'm concern he may have diabetes. How can I tell without going to the vet and having to spend over $100 for my visit.
      Billfish10- we went through the same thing with our lab a few years ago. He was very lethargic and was peeing a lot more than normal. I know it is a lot of money, but spending it now to get the proper tests done will at least set your mind at ease versus guessing. After Dutch's diagnosis with diabetes, we kicked ourselves for not taking acting sooner... Just food for thought.

Comment

Working...
      X