Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DiabeticDogBlog
    replied
    For diabetic dogs it is very important to get them to eat every meal for management sack.

If they don't eat all their food, it changes insulin unit amounts and constantly changing amounts isn't good or manageable.

I would try exercise before a meal. It is important any way and a good way to keep both you and your dog health. Its a good way to get them too hungry to the point where they don't care if the food doesn't taste super awesome.

Not super delicious for the dog but they need to eat and get over turning their nose up at their food.

If that doesn't work. Try finding a good diabetic food that your dog loves.

Check out my post here about food. http://forum.americandiabeteswholesa...d.php?t=1438#6

Try a little teaser food. Like cooked brown rice or some other dog diabetic friendly food. But not too much!

Don't cater to your dog's pickiness, they will exploit it. If it was up to them they would eat only things that tastes good to them and leave the rest behind.

This happened with our other dog, Luna. She is a picky eater. To entice her to eat we started giving her teaser food. It got to a point she would only eat soft food, some of Benders home made food, and some kibble. Instead of all her kibble.

Bad, bad, bad. We nipped that habit in the butt. Now she gets 2-3 bites of Bender's food. If that doesn't work and she doesn't eat after 10 mins. Sorry out of luck. She doesn't eat that meal and she has to wait till next meal.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    diabetes in pets and care

If you look at the various newsletters on DestinationDiabetes.com you will find Dr. Gary (our vet) writing about pet care with diabetes. Nurse Robbie has experience with several of her cats who have lived with diabetes. Here are her tips
    Here are my 5 tips for managing your pet's diabetes:

Make sure to start feeding your pet a low-calorie food - advised by your veterinarian. Most cats with diabetes are overweight and weight loss will help control their blood sugar.
    Do not leave the food dish out throughout the day. Leaving the dish out will allow your pet to overeat if the food is left out.
    Try to get your dog or cat to exercise. Since cats don't walk, playing with them will give them some exercise and you'll have fun too.
    Limit the treats to 4-6 pieces per day. Treats = extra calories.
    For cats, keep the litter box clean. Cats will have to urinate more and cats like a dry box.

Leave a comment:

• galail.42tn
    replied
    Re:

OMG!! A pet with diabetes.. Take the best care of your pet and consult the pets doctor!!

Leave a comment:

• tsugumi
    replied
    Originally posted by alessadry View Post
    There are some prescription foods produced especially for diabetic pets. I am not sure though if they are highly appetible. You also want to look for foods that are very high in fiber content. If your pet is overweight you want to put him/her on a diet. Best of luck!
    I agree. You may have to approach feeding your pet the same way you approach feeding a person, read the nutrition labels and the ingredients. Make sure there isn't too much of a single ingredient in it.

Leave a comment:

• alessadry
    replied
    There are some prescription foods produced especially for diabetic pets. I am not sure though if they are highly appetible. You also want to look for foods that are very high in fiber content. If your pet is overweight you want to put him/her on a diet. Best of luck!

Leave a comment:

• cartman
    started a topic Doggie with Diabetes

Doggie with Diabetes

Hi,

I have a 5 year old dog that has just been diagnosed with diabetes. He is a very picky eater and I am trying to find what type of dog food is good for him that he might like. Does anyone have any suggetions?

Thank you
Working...
X