X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cinnamon
    replied
    Making your own dog treats

I have a very very picky dog who has zero interest in string beans. As I am a vegetarian I don't like to even handle raw meat. I found that Trader Joe's has 100% beef liver treats and dehydrated chicken jerky both made in the good old USA. My dog loves them but now only gets them on rare occasions as even they spike her glucose levels.

Leave a comment:

• osuship
    replied
    osuship

i buy chicken breast and dehydrate my own treats, great for my diabetic dog

Originally posted by Dr. Joi Sutton, DVM View Post
    Hello again! Nice to hear from you. If you want a low carb treat you might consider simply giving Dutch a piece of chicken or lean meat. An option if you are heading out and about without refrigeration might be dehydrated chicken jerky. Of course I'd make sure it was made here in the good ole USA! Green beans are a fave of many a dog, and they certainly have a low glycemic index.

Back in the early days of hypoallergenic diets some clients who had allergic dogs might take the kibble they were feeding, add water to make a dough and bake it in different shapes. It would disguise the food a big for some dogs who gobble so quickly they don't really taste.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, treats for diabetic dogs are best given near meals to avoid unwanted glucose spikes in dogs. I suppose if you gave a green bean or other low glycemic veggie it wouldn't matter as much.

Anyone else reading? Anyone else have favorite diabetic dog treat suggestions for Dutch's dad? Dutch was used to getting an evening snack but it caused a bump in his evening glucose levels.

Joi

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Joi Sutton, DVM
    replied
    You are a good dog parent! Lol

Leave a comment:

• amrozy213
    replied
    i made the homemade liver treats for my diabetic dog. of course he LOVED them... but they will make you want to gag while making them! we stored them in the fridge & the molded within a few weeks. i also give green beans with the low glycemic dog food to give him as a filler. he licks his bowl for several minutes once he's done so i assume he's still hungry. he loves the green beans.

Leave a comment:

• Dutch's Dad
    replied
    Wow, thanks for the fast response and tips! I will continue to pursue this as an option.

And yes, it anyone else is reading this and has any tips or recipes that they have used for their diabetic dog please share.

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Joi Sutton, DVM
    replied
    treats for diabetic dog

Hello again! Nice to hear from you. If you want a low carb treat you might consider simply giving Dutch a piece of chicken or lean meat. An option if you are heading out and about without refrigeration might be dehydrated chicken jerky. Of course I'd make sure it was made here in the good ole USA! Green beans are a fave of many a dog, and they certainly have a low glycemic index.

Back in the early days of hypoallergenic diets some clients who had allergic dogs might take the kibble they were feeding, add water to make a dough and bake it in different shapes. It would disguise the food a big for some dogs who gobble so quickly they don't really taste.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, treats for diabetic dogs are best given near meals to avoid unwanted glucose spikes in dogs. I suppose if you gave a green bean or other low glycemic veggie it wouldn't matter as much.

Anyone else reading? Anyone else have favorite diabetic dog treat suggestions for Dutch's dad? Dutch was used to getting an evening snack but it caused a bump in his evening glucose levels.

Joi

Leave a comment:

• Dutch's Dad
    started a topic Making your own dog treats?

Making your own dog treats?

Hi Dr Joi-

I have been reading up a little on how you can make healthy dog treats at home. We are very particular in regards to what kinds of treats we allow Dutch to have and are starting to think that making our own will allow us the opportunity to keep the carbs count lower than what we are finding at the store.

Do you know others that have tried something like this? Also, do you recommend any particular treats when handling diabetic dogs?

Thank you.
Working...
X