Advice for someone who hates exercise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for someone who hates exercise

I don't like the traditional forms of exercise, like the gym, jogging or playing sports. I do like walking and swimming, however.

I guess I could do with some advice on how to stay fit and healthy when I don't like exercise. It's quite a journey by public transport to get to the nearest swimming pool, and whilst walking can be done everywhere - keeping fit through walking isn't that easy when you live in the city!

Any advice or thoughts?

Hey xaphania, I am type 1 diabetic and understand your thoughts about excercising. There are times when going to the gym and playing sports are just not an option. The easiest way to get a good amount of excerise into your life is walking more.

Forget that elevators even exist and stairs are the only option. Another possibility could be to walk to the next public transportation stop instead of the nearest one. Simple things to add a few extra steps to your day can help your health tremendously

Comment

Things to do for fun exercise

Well, exercising can be fun in all different ways. I don't know everybody's situation but i like to exercise but i just don't get the chance or have the time with my newborn. But here are some things you can do. First off, if you like to dance...that is a form of exercise. I don't know anybody who doesn't like to listen to music. When i have my baby and he doesn't want to go down for a nap, i turn the radio on and we dance around the house. Let me tell you, with 19 extra pounds and moving around the house you get a good workout in. Also we like going to the mall, since it is getting very hot outside. Get an ipod and put all your favorite songs on it. This is much more fun then walking on a treadmill or regular exercise. You can also exercise while sitting. There are so many exercises that can be done sitting in a chair. Weights and leg work. I know this b/c before i had my baby i was a trainer and aerobic instructor. Well, i hope this helps with ideas.

Comment

Thanks for your replies! I went out and bought a mini trampoline today, and that's something I can do whilst watching TV or listening to music.

Comment

I like to go for long walks. The problem is I have a bad back and long walks don't like me any more!

Comment

More ideas

There's some great stuff in these posts! Dancing to my favorite tunes is one of my favorites. There are other little things you can do as well. When watching TV at night, I'll get up during the commercial breaks and walk around the house, walk up and down the stairs, etc. Not a whole lot, but if you do that instead of just sitting there it helps! I'll also do little aeorbic workouts while watching the program.

Also, don't forget about housework. Now I know most people don't like to do housework, but as far as I'm cocerned, that's exercise!

Comment

There are many forms of exercise like walking, dancing, jogging, running and etc. As long as your body is moving you are exercising. If you're lazy enough of doing exercise, eat plenty of fruits and vegetables.

Comment

As a person who also HATES exercise, I have to fool myself into doing it.. Walking the dog is all I'm doing, and I just happen to be going on longer and longer walks for her... It just so happens that I also get some exercise in...

Comment

A small pool at the backyard of the house could be a great idea.

Comment

I also hate working out. It's kind of boring. So, what I do is join a belly dancing a three times a week . On weekends, I attend martial arts classes. It's fun at the same time you'll learn from it.

Comment

exercise

Can sex be consider a form of exercise also? I guess so, LOL! Seriously, when one doesn't have time to go to gym, Walking a few distance everyday is a good alternative. I used to drive even in short distances, but now, with the soaring price of gasoliine, I would walk whenever I can.

Comment

well exercise doesn't always mean standard exercises. Exercises can be any form of physical work which makes our body to work.

Comment

Exercise can be more fun when others are involved. Find some friends to go walking with on a weekly basis. Also, there are plenty of ways to get exercise other than going to the gym...such as ballroom dancing or biking. I would suggest getting into a weekly routine, but mixing it up. Exercise should be enjoyed, not endured (wow, I can't believe I stated that...trust me it took years to feel this way )

Comment

maybe its not just as exercise that we will consider if we want to manage our health or even to stay up fit, proper healthy diet is also part of it, now if you do walking and swimming still that's good at least your giving effort but still small.

Comment

Swimming is one of the best exercises that you can do, I live in a very rural area so getting to any kind of public pool is next to impossible. I do try to exercise at home because I live in Canada and it is not very nice going for a walk in the cold.

Comment

Working...
                              X