Deep-Dish Berry Pie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deep-Dish Berry Pie

This is a dish that I use when I have gone overboard and bought more ripe berries than I could eat. The calories are kept down because this doesn't have a bottom crust, just a top crust.

They say to use the extra frozen puff pastry by cutting out decorative forms. I tend to not do that and bake the extra crust by itself until it's brown and use it to have with applesauce or other fruit to make it more of a real dish. I don't have the time to make pretty designs. Please.

Deep-Dish Berry Pie
    (makes 12 servings)

8 cups mixed fresh berries-blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries (halved, if large), rinsed and drained
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
    Sugar replacement equal to 1/2 cup sugar
    2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
    1/4 cup tapioca
    1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed according to package directions
    1 large egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water

In a large bowl, gently toss berries, lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar replacement, flour, and tapioca.

Place in a 1 1/2-quart (1.5 l) ovenproof round baking dish. Set aside.

Meanwhile, roll out pastry on a lightly floured work surface to 1/8-inch thick. Using a sharp knife, cut out a circle 2 inches larger than the baking dish. Set scraps aside.

Brush the circle with the egg-water mixture and place, brushed side down, over the baking dish. Stretch the pastry tight (like a drum), pressing the overhanging dough onto the sides of the baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate remaining egg-water mixture. Cut the scraps into small decorative shapes with little cookie cutters or a sharp knife. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.

Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C)

When ready to bake, brush the top with the remaining egg mixture and lightly press decorative shapes on the top. Brush the tops of the shapes with egg mixture. Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 375°F. Bake for another 25 minutes, until pastry is golden.

Remove from oven and cool on a rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.

91 calories per serving
Working...
X