Eating At Restaurants With Diabetes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eating At Restaurants With Diabetes

I looked around the forum to see if this topic was brought up before. I did not want to repeat the question.

What options do diabetic people have when visiting a regular restaurant?
    Do you ask the chef for special preparing changes for your entree?

Thank you for sharing.

Normally there are no options left except choosing the right menu. Restaurants are for commercial purposes, i don't think they have food made especially for diabetic patients.

Comment

Originally posted by manojjonam10 View Post
      Normally there are no options left except choosing the right menu. Restaurants are for commercial purposes, i don't think they have food made especially for diabetic patients.
      Not necessarily--it depends on where you go. Some restaurants will take health issues into consideration and allow alternatives. For example, my Dad has diabetes, so when we go out we usually go to buffets that offer sugar-free desserts such as Golden Corral. I also believe it depends on the area in which you live.

Comment

We Are Responsible

On the rare occasions I go out to eat, I wouldn't dream of acting as if I am a special case and must have my meals redone to my strict rules.

I look at the menu and decide on what is best for me that night. If I had been keeping my calories down waiting until the meal I would then give myself more options on what I'd order. There's no need for diabetics to think they are unlike all the other people eating out who are also sticking to a healthy diet.

Comment

I think skatts is right, people just need to choose carefully what they order. Most restaurants have low calorie dishes, marked specifically on the menu as "lighter" options. Just stick to what's healthier and what your doctor advised.

Comment

it was brought up years ago

It was a topic years ago but liek everything else eventually peters out. So its a godo thing you mentioned it again.

PALces liek O charleys, applebees, TGIF.. basically higher end restaurants will cook food to your order.

Some have weight watchers choices. Which are always low fat. low carb, high fiber highly balanced meals.

Your best bets is to peruse the restaurants websites before heading out. That way you can call and get information on cooking and special requests and then plan accordingly. It will also give you an idea of budget.

I dont go out nor eat out as much as when i was working. So for me checking out what a place has before gong out is best.

It will also give you an idea of hidden allergens, food additives and ingredients that you might not want to eat.

Comment

Dining out with Diabetes

Asking for sauces, dressings and gravies on the side (if possible or in light amounts) is a healthy request for anyone. They contain sugar, fat and salt.

If you double up on veggies then maybe you can splurge more on the bread or small dessert. It's a matter of weighing your options.

It's no different than if you were trying to lose weight or if you are more conscious of your food choices. If you want to stay slim or lose weight or just be healthy, you'd ask for your salad dressing on the side and make sure it wasn't full-fat blue cheese. Similarly, you may have one roll and a bigger salad.

It is the thought involved.

Comment

Dining Out

Dining out can be challenging WITH or WITHOUT having diabetes. The suggestions I make to my patients with diabetes who are dining out is: before placing your order think about balancing out your plate with the starch (potato, pasta, rice, etc.), non-starchy vegetable (broccoli, zucchini, salad, etc.) and protein (fish, meat, poultry, etc.). Weigh things out. If you want to eat the bread or the chips or have the noodle soup, then deduct some of the starch from the huge potato. It's all a balancing game.
                You also want to be concerned with fat and salt. Be careful of dressings, sauces and gravies (that's where the majority of fat and salt are!). Cut off meat fat or the skin on the poultry. Ask for sauce on the side.
                Read my article on DestinationDiabetes.com, under DIY and healthy eating for dining out tips.
                Enjoy your food. We all need to be concerned with our choices when dining out - with or without having diabetes.

Comment

Definitely advice to live by, Marci! Thanks for sharing!

Unfortunately, she's right. Many restaurants don't have special menus for diabetics, so you have to make the best of what's there. Restaurants often times DO have healthy options and you can select from that variety. Generally (from what I've noticed), the diet dishes are also very diabetic friendly. . . .not to mention yummy!

Comment

Working...
                  X