Brown rice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brown rice?

Is brown rice any slower to raise blood sugar than white rice?

I have heard that brown rice is excellent for both people suffering from diabetes and none. I guess it is due to its fiber content which helps keep blood sugar levels under control. Not sure though what the best way to consume it though.

Comment

Originally posted by Gladys View Post
      Is brown rice any slower to raise blood sugar than white rice?
      I would say from experience use the brown rice it is much healthier and it great with the blood sugars. Also it has alot of proteins so it help you to get full so you don't snack as much I feed it to my son for some lunch meals and also dinners.

Comment

Brown Rice will raise the blood sugars more slowly than white. Carbs in Brown Rice have a slow effect on blood sugar levels.

I looked it up and got this information:

Food: Brown Rice (cooked)
        Glycemic Index: 50
        Glycemic Index Rating: Low

Food:White Rice (regular, cooked)
        Glycemic Index: 69
        Glycemic Index Rating: Medium

So brown rice is better!

Comment

What is the difference between brown rice and wild rice? Is brown rice simply wild rice with the shell removed?

What is it in the brown rice that makes it behave differently in the body and makes it better than white rice?

Comment

Brown rice vs. white rice

Here some info I found on the net...

Brown rice consists of kernels of rice from which only the hull has been removed. The light brown color of brown rice is caused by the presence of bran layers which are rich in minerals and vitamins, especially the B-complex group.

White or “polished” rice is the most common form of rice. The outer husk is removed, and the layers of bran are milled until the grain is white.

Comment

Originally posted by patrol71 View Post
              Here some info I found on the net...

Brown rice consists of kernels of rice from which only the hull has been removed. The light brown color of brown rice is caused by the presence of bran layers which are rich in minerals and vitamins, especially the B-complex group.

White or “polished” rice is the most common form of rice. The outer husk is removed, and the layers of bran are milled until the grain is white.
              I guess leaving the hull in place must slow the rate at which the rice is digested, giving the body time to produce insulin and balancing the blood sugar.

Could using polished rice with a lot of spices, like rice with curries, also help slow it's absorption?

Comment

Slower digested rice

Spices shouldn't make any significant change in glucose release, HOWEVER, nuts would! Adding sliced almonds or any nuts of your choice would slow down digestion due to the fat content. It would also increase the nutritional value.

Comment

Interesting fact, Marci. However, I have a question. Do nuts have a tendency to raise blood sugar levels or keep them them leveled? As I mentioned in a previous post, I eat sweets with no issue but I'm afraid that if I eventually exhibit other symptoms, I'll have to change up my diet to counter the condition.

Comment

Nuts and glucose levels

Nuts do not tend to raise glucose levels. If you eat many of them (one ounce of almonds or cashews = 20-25 nuts) - over an ounce........you may see different results. In general, they should help slow down the digestion and therefore the release of sugar into the bloodstream. The only way to know for sure is to test prior to and 1-2 hours after you eat them and find out!

Comment

Working...
                    X