Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deals2000
    replied
    People are cheating so they can enjoy life in that moment. I guess we feel that we can fix things later.

Leave a comment:

• supermom03
    replied
    Originally posted by cassiem0221 View Post
    One of my relatives is a big CHEATER.. and then she just don't understand why her sugars are high. I don't know how many times I have caught her gulfing down a big hot yeast roll.. eating a king size Hershey's bar, etc... Do you cheat? You know that there will be consequences so why do it? Your mind should be thinking... Candy/bread + diabetes= BAD I know that temptations a probably strong but lets think about the health issues here! Remind yourself what could/would happen before you eat that...whatever...
    Yes my little one is a cheater he cant resist the candy and breads so I keep an eye on his intake of it and treat with his insulin to keep from having too many high sugar readings.

Leave a comment:

• Serra
    replied
    Originally posted by Team Diabetes View Post
    I think a good way to resist temptation is to get the stuff out of the house completely.

At my house, we have a banned list. Items that I know I can't resist. They aren't allowed in the house. Somethings, I can resist, we have plenty of candy and chocolate in the house, ice cream, ice cream bars.. that kind of stuff, I don't eat it.

However, bring Fruit Loops in the house, and I just can't resist... banned.

Leave a comment:

• jhellie_baby
    replied
    before things worsen, trying to avoid temptations is what should be done, a person will never say no if the temptation especially food is in front of you. self motivation and control is necessary.

Leave a comment:

• jimmys devoted
    replied
    even if i " cheat" i am only hurting myself

but forget about that.. I dont cheat...
    if i want to eat a cheesecake.. i will eat a cheesecake.. but that will be the only thing I will eat that day..

I think the term cheating is a bad concept....

teh wakeup call wil be when her neuropathy turns to ded nerves and then amutation or surgery.. then she may realize there is a problem..

otherwise.. is you decide to binge once in a while.. then remember its not the end of the world....

Leave a comment:

• Simplyme
    replied
    I think that is actually what most were implying when they refer to "cheating" is not maintaining a proper portion limit. Which to me is cheating...If I am on a diet and eat something that I am allowed to eat but I eat too much of it then I have cheated my diet.

Leave a comment:

• faithib
    replied
    I really think that stopping the talk about cheating, even using that word is a good idea.
    It is all about making healthy choices, portion control and doing what you can to keep your blood sugars on as even a keel as possible.
    There isn't anything I can't eat.
    I can make good choices with all the good food that is out there though.

Leave a comment:

• jimmys devoted
    replied
    is it cheating?

its not really cheating.. thats a WW term, its ore liek sabotage.
    But if you look atteh diabetic diet, we can eat everything.. so roll plus candy bar is not always bad for a diabetic.
    portion control hwoever isthe key. Now if you ever saw me with 50 BG you woudl wonder whatthe hell is she doing, cereal, oj... maybe a candy bar and 1/2 can soda.

I think she does this for afew reasons, for attention. for sympathy are probably teh biggest.
    One thing that Diabetes Education does do is reinforce full emals to prevent over eatinga nd eating too much wrong foods....

j

Leave a comment:

• rumen
    replied
    Originally posted by Lorence View Post
    I wonder why people would still cheat when their own health is at risk. I guess if one is really determined to cure(or prevent) it, he/she would not even think of cheating. It's juts a matter of discipline. And if they can't, then they have a bigger problem than diabetes.
    Yup. Cheating and risking your health in the same time is plain stupid.

Leave a comment:

• Lorence
    replied
    wonder

I wonder why people would still cheat when their own health is at risk. I guess if one is really determined to cure(or prevent) it, he/she would not even think of cheating. It's juts a matter of discipline. And if they can't, then they have a bigger problem than diabetes.

Leave a comment:

• faithib
    replied
    I am so sick of the word 'cheating' when it comes to diabetes.
    Yes there are some foods that are healthier than others, yes some things I should eat smaller portions of or only eat once in a while BUT there is nothing (and this is from my dietician, DE and my endocrinologist) I can't eat if I want to.
    I avoid sugary drinks and fruit juices because they just raise my blood sugars too fast but anything else?
    I choose to eat what I want to.

Diet police beware, you don't know what you are talking about.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Sadly if they cheat, they're just risking death. It sounds like to me that this person is in denial. It is a major life changing disease, that can be treated and allow you to have a reasonably normal life.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Another idea is to show them the movie, "Super Size Me". It shows just how much junk food can damage your body.

You could also take them on a tour of a local diabetes ward at a hospital. I think it's hard to ignore amputations, blindness, people hooked up to dialysis machines, and 4 inch scars across the chest from open heart surgery.

Now, granted, some people (especially those with Type 1 diabetes) will still get some complications no matter what they do. But in MOST cases, many with diabetes (especially Type 2 diabetes) can PREVENT anything really bad from happening by just eating a healthy diet, exercising, and keeping their glucose levels in check. That's it! And they can be healthy and live a good long life!

I think if you reframe the issue as something that needs to be done to stay healthy, it makes it easier to follow.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I think a good way to resist temptation is to get the stuff out of the house completely. The whole family needs to eat healthy anyway! Some treats can be worked into a meal plan *in moderation*, but a KING SIZE Hershey bar?! Yikes!

Fill the fridge with cut up veggies sticks, have whole grain crackers and low fat cheese cubes ready, snack on pickles, lean meat slices and mustard, salads, and plain nuts. You'd be amazed at how apple slices and peanut butter really fill you up!

The problem is, junk food is an addiction for some people. Many people can give it up when they know what will happen, and after how much better the feel on healthy food. Many say they begin to crave healthy food instead of junk. But not all can give up the junk food as easy.

In that case, toss ALL the junk out. Think about garbage in=garbage out. Don't buy "diabetic candies" which also still contain carbs and may make you crave the real thing. Don't keep it around for "company" or the kids. Eat healthy stuff before you go shopping so you don't buy snacks or fast food. Bag a healthy lunch and bring snacks. Eating healthy does not have to taste bad. Make your own popcorn using a air-popper and a small amount of Becel margarine and spices. Bake your own fries using potato slices and olive oil brushed on top. Top with salsa, and there you go! Have a hardboiled egg on the run and some diet yogurt. Have diet hot chocolate instead of a bar.

Schedule a small treat once in awhile. Buy a MINI chocolate bar, or split a regular (NOT king!) bar with a friend.

If you MUST go for fast food (take the kids out once a month...but not every week), go to Wendy's, where you can have chilli, a baked potato, or a salad. Or order a plain hamburger from Mc D's instead of a heart attack in a bun, like a Big Mac. Eating a burger once a month isn't great for you, but provided you eat healthy the rest of the time, it won't kill you. Burgers 4x per week WILL.

There are solutions...but unfortunately, all you can do is tell people that it can be done. You can't force them to do it. The best way is to lead by example.

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Do you cheat?

Do you cheat?

One of my relatives is a big CHEATER.. and then she just don't understand why her sugars are high. I don't know how many times I have caught her gulfing down a big hot yeast roll.. eating a king size Hershey's bar, etc... Do you cheat? You know that there will be consequences so why do it? Your mind should be thinking... Candy/bread + diabetes= BAD I know that temptations a probably strong but lets think about the health issues here! Remind yourself what could/would happen before you eat that...whatever...
Working...
X