Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you take a statin(cholesterol drug) to prevent heart attacks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you take a statin(cholesterol drug) to prevent heart attacks?

For people with diabetes, lowering LDL (bad) cholesterol is usually the first priority. Several studies indicate that lowering LDL has significant benefits, including lowering the risk for cardiovascular disease.

I'm just not sure I want to take another drug to prevent what ifs.
    What do you think.
    This question applies to type 2's and type 1's.

My cholesterol levels are good.
    I don't need the med for that.
    Do I want to pay for another pill to prevent what might happen?

I did but it didnt work

I was on one for a few mnoths. But being aon alow fat high fiber diet, my system backfired and cratyed more ldls...
    so they took me of of it. I am just on aspirin therapy.

Comment

I don't know that I would as a preventative I really wouldn't want to take on the possible side effects unless I absolutely had to.

Comment

i do

Originally posted by faithib View Post
        For people with diabetes, lowering LDL (bad) cholesterol is usually the first priority. Several studies indicate that lowering LDL has significant benefits, including lowering the risk for cardiovascular disease.

What do you think.

i do pet64

Comment

My diabetes dr is really starting to push this.
          I am just not sure I want to be on another med.
          From what I have read because there is evidence it makes a difference in heart disease in diabetics(who all have a much higher risk of heart disease) the drs are being pushed to get all their diabetic patients on these drugs.

Comment

I always believe in statement " prevention is better than cure". Can you share to us what is that particular pill that your Dr. recommended?

Comment

Diabetic Pill

My diabetes dr is really starting to push this.
              I am just not sure I want to be on another med.
              From what I have read because there is evidence it makes a difference in heart disease in diabetics(who all have a much higher risk of heart disease) the drs are being pushed to get all their diabetic patients on these drugs.
              Faithib,

Can you please share with me what medication you are talking about

thanks

Comment

Statins are pills that lower your bad cholesterol. There are more than one out there, Lipitor and Crestor are 2 on the list I looked at that I had heard of before.
                Here is a quote I found through the American Diabetes Association website: "he increased risk of MI in people with diabetes has led to the American Diabetes Association recommendation that people > 40 with type 2 diabetes should be treated with a statin in doses high enough to lower LDL cholesterol levels by 30–40% regardless of baseline LDL cholesterol. For those < 40, lipid lowering therapy is advised for people with other risk factors, including hypertension, family history, abdominal obesity, and high triglycerides. Type 2 diabetes is rarely present without most or all of these other risk factors; thus, statins should be considered in almost all people with type 2 diabetes."

Comment

Originally posted by Simplyme View Post
                  I don't know that I would as a preventative I really wouldn't want to take on the possible side effects unless I absolutely had to.
                  I couldn't agree more here. I would use it when it's absolutely necessary to.

Comment

Statins, Fish Oil

What do you think.

I think you need a little more info before you can make a decision. First, you need a complete lipid and lipoprotein profile. I don't just mean a cholesterol test. My doctor gave me the Berkeley Profile but most labs have something similar. If this is OK, you might just want to be sure you exercise, consider adding a good fish oil to your diet, and keep an eye on things every year or so. If your LDL is high or your HDL is low and you have any other abnormal risk factors on the Berkley test, you will see recommendations on the test itself. After trying fish oil, you might consider a statin. I've been on Lipitor for 15 years or so with no problems but just adding fish oil and exercise made a hugh difference in my numbers. I just found out I am borderline diabetic also at 54. Like any medicine, don't take it unless you need it.

Comment

Hi there,

I think it can be used to check cholesterol in type 2 diabetics but with doctors prescription. Because I am not sure about the use of it and most of the members expressed doubts regarding the use of statin so I feel that you have to check with your doctors before using it.

Thanks

Comment

Statins

I understand your concern. Heart disease is the #1 killer of Americans and with diabetes, your risk increases even more. Many studies have been done to show that statins (cholesterol lowering drugs - some raise HDL, good cholesterol, as well) should be taken to protect against heart disease ESPECIALLY if you have diabetes. Similarly, ACE inhibitors or ARBs should be taken to protect against kidney disease. This is something you should discuss further with your doctor.

Comment

I agree that heart disease is the #1 killer. Starting to check cholesterol level, It may show the heart conditions. Generic for Crestor is a cholesterol-lowering medication. It available in the dosages of 5mg, 10mg, 20mg and 40mg. This medicine works by blocking the production of cholesterol in the body. Once reducing cholesterol helps prevent heart attacks and strokes.

Comment

What do you think.

If you look at the discalimer and the evidence statins do not claim to cure or prevent any heart disease only lower the cholesterol. Science has proved that cholesterol does not cause heart disease it is only a symptom of the condition that causes it. Statins stop the liver from making coq10 which is vital to the heart and it also destroys the liver which is vital to the heart. Once you realize these drugs are more profit motivated than health motivated you will get the picture.

Comment

What do you think.

This is kind of a slick looking website and it may be in the best interests of those posting here to know whose money is behind it and who pays the moderators. Most of the money for these so called health web sites on line are funded by drug companies with drug company posters such as the pro statins and crestor plugs going on this board. The best bet is to go an independent web site or a health site to find the real story and you may begin to realize what an insidious crime syndicate is at work here. The big pharma drug cartels are every bit as bad as those in Mexico except here they don't kill with lead they kill with pills and we the American public eat it up and think big pharma is on our side and that the FDA is here to protect our interests. Well guess again because you could be making a deadly mistake.

Comment

Working...
                              X