What are the risks untreated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the risks untreated

Can you ignore the risk of this? I know a lady that was supposed to undergo some extensive testing after she had a positive test result from a fasting diabetes test.

She did not accept this diagnosis and refused to be tested further. She went on to have the child without any diabetic complications but she sure had me worried.

The risks with this are a baby that grows to large and so needs a c-section delivery, breathing and jaundice problems in the infant and problems for the baby controlling his own blood sugar. The mother herself can experience many of the same problems that a regular diabetic would, if uncontrolled.

However, the test that is administered is HUGELY inaccurate. So much so that when I tested positive my midwife laughed and told me not to worry, that they only tested to cover their butts and that with how healthy I was overall that there was almost no chance.

I only had the follow up test because I was nervous, and I ended up being one of the 3-5%.

Comment

I wouldn't say that their test are inaccuarate that would be purposeless to give if that was the case. All woman are tested for diabetes when pregnant. And even if they refuse the test, all of the other test dealing with blood can easily show your levels. If there is anything out of whack they are obligated to test you.

Comment

Sorry but they ARE inaccurate. There is a high percentage of false positives with the most common test for gestational diabetes. The follow up tests are more sensitive but also more costly which is why they don't do those first.

They are also hugely uncomfortable for pregnant women who often have to very carefully control their food intake to prevent nausea and vomiting. So to be forced to fast for the test, the period of which will vary depending on your doc, only to find out that the first test was wrong is to say the least not nice for them.

There are better and easier tests, the insurance companies just don't wanna pay for them.

Comment

Good point about the insurance companies. I have been dealing with them for far too long. I still say that they should pay for a second opinion though.

Comment

Oh, they do pay for a second test. But that test wouldn't be needed if the first one got it right And like I say there is a huge number of false positives with the first test. A lot of women could be saved worry and discomfort if the insurance companies weren't so tight.

Comment

That's very true, Brit. Would that the medical diagnosticians got it right the first time. It's good that they did pay for the second test at least.

Comment

I think she should have accepted and went further with the testing.Although some tests are not always accurate she have to go further.

Comment

upon delivery her baby will turn to be bid than normal weight of an ordinary baby would be, and also the baby will eventually be a diabetic to.

Comment

Getting a report that you tested positive for diabetes can be traumatic on anyone. Being in denial is a common response to that kind of news. You always have the option of getting a second opinion.

Comment

What are the risks untreated

It definitely changes the way of communicating to others. You can now just look up some of your friends on the web, you can know what they are doing and where they are and you can interact with them online.

Comment

I'm glad that your friend was okay, but any kind of sickness left untreated is potentially dangerous. Your friend should care enough about her own body to take the time to get all the information that she needs.

Comment

Working...
                        X