Diabetes and blindness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diabetes and blindness

I have heard that one can go blind as a result of diabetes. How does this happen.

Blindness usually occurs when the disease is not properly managed and when diabetic people prevent to have once a year eye screenings. In diabetics, the eye pressure escalates up to a point where they develop glaucoma. Glaucoma therefore, is the main cause of blindness in diabetics.

Comment

Though 40 percent of all adult blindness occurs in diabetics, there really should not be such a high level of fear when it comes to our talking about it.

It has been shown that most diabetic blindness could easily be detected early and be successfully treated if they would just go to the eye doctor twice a year. Almost all the bad diseases that can harm our sight can be treated if the doctors can just diagnose it early enough.

That most people, including diabetics, don't go to the eye doctor as often as they should, is the real reason for the high statistics dealing with blindness.

As long as you take care of yourself and keep going to the doctors to take the really simple and non painful tests that are done, there's no reason to have a terrible fear of going blind nowadays.

Comment

Where glaucoma could be one reason for diabetic blindness, I thought that circulatory issues played a bigger role.

Am I mistaken?

Don't the same problems associated with diabetic neuropathy, affect how the eye processes imagery also?

Comment

I have heard that those with diabetes run a higher risk of blindness, but I did not know that it is preventable and treatable if early detected. I wonder why people skip screenings... I'd think their doctor would inform them how important it is.

Comment

I've read that high blood sugar can affect the blood vessels in the eyes. I believe this can also contribute to eye problems. That's something that appears to be prevalent in my family.

Comment

Originally posted by angela mwema View Post
              I have heard that one can go blind as a result of diabetes. How does this happen.
              This happens when the disease is not taken serious and the proper care is not given. So with proper testing , care , and taking of medication this can be prevented.

Comment

Diabetes can actually lead to a bunch of potential illness and diseases. Blindness is one of the horrors of diabetes. If diabetic patients are negligent about their health they would certainly have one or other type of illness. Rise in Glaucoma is one of the main reason in creating blindness for diabetic patients.

Comment

Working...
                X