No announcement yet.

12 Dirty Foods -- Only Eat As Organic!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 Dirty Foods -- Only Eat As Organic!

We were talking about how we should try and wash our food in order to get the pesticides off them. But it seems that there are 12 foods that are known as "Dirty Foods" and for these you need to buy them only as organic.

But with the prices so high, it is going to be hard to afford them.

Here's the list of the "12 Dirty Foods."

milk
    meat
    apples
    peaches
    strawberries
    grapes
    celery
    coffee
    lettuce
    potatoes
    tomatoes
    bell Peppers

Here are some of the articles I read about this subject:

http://green.msn.com/galleries/photo...s.aspx?gid=164

http://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy...ty-Dozen-Foods

Thanks for the info. I've read a few books that focus on organic cooking and holistic approaches--the information you presented lines up with what I read. I struggle myself with trying to fit organic foods into my budget, but I believe it's worth it. Some natural food stores are quite reasonable if you can find them. The organic prices at the typical supermarket are astronomical. I rarely purchase organics from typical supermarkets unless it's supermarket brand (which is just as high nowadays!)

Comment

I find it's best to go to Farmer's Markets or to neighborhood green grocers who carry organic foods and get to know your seller in order to get good low prices on the foods sold.

When the human touch gets into it, you can talk and let the owner of the establishment know that you want organic foods and that you really need them at the lowest price as possible. I know I can sometimes get a good price when I go to the same place and get to know the owner.

Like in Farmer's Markets, the prices are good the closer the seller is to the place where the food is grown.

The people who own the stores are always walking a small line between a good day and a money losing day. When the owner of a green grocery knows that it will be sold, he will try to get more organic foods to sell. Let him know that you are interested. He might just go that much further to get you want you'd like.

Comment

thank you for the information and also for the list.

funny, I just saw a documentary on organic foods, and they were saying how so many organic food stores are really not all that organic

Comment

Originally posted by Florentin View Post
          thank you for the information and also for the list.

funny, I just saw a documentary on organic foods, and they were saying how so many organic food stores are really not all that organic
          I do wonder about that often. With certain foods, you can taste or see the difference between conventional and organic (such as meats, dairy, berries), but some you cannot. Good advice, skatss, about getting to know your grocer. It seems necessary to develop a level a trust so that you know the produce is organic. I recently moved, so I'm still on the lookout for Farmer's Markets in my neck of the woods.

Comment

We have an all natural organic type of store here in my town and I sometimes buy things there, but haven't really noticed any difference in taste or anything. I do notice the difference between homegrown or that which you'd buy at a farmers market though. It's waaaayyyy better!!! Most likely better for you too!

Comment

It looks like most of my food ingredients is under 13 dirty list. This is totally shocking. But without them what we can possibly eat in practical sense.

Comment

What effects have these foods had on people, all of these years, while eating the "non-organic" versions?

I ask because most people in my age group, have eaten foods, for most of our lives, that were not "organic".

What signs should we watch for that indicate that these foods have harmed us?

Comment

May I clarify something here

I am a afarmer and we are working hard to get the word Organic removed from the shoppers vocabulary.
                  It is misleading. Everything that is grown is ORGANIC. it is made from molecules and arrives here in a natural way. You are organic.
                  What you are referring to is CHEMICAL FREE foods.
                  Foods that use no pesticides other than natural soap or insects for control and manure or other natural fertilizers and minimum herbicides.

Here is a conundrum, its not the chemicals you have to worry about. You have to worry about: CONTAMINATION from the pickers, waste water runoff, septic overflow. these things are what causes most of the illnesses not the chemicals.

It has been shown that many seasonal workers in areas do not wash after going to the bathroom, urinate and deficate in the fields and so on.

So here is a thought for you all,
                  If you buy this more expensive stuff are you really being safe, according to the USDA, the answer is NO. As has been shown by the salmonella outbreaks, cholera outbreaks, typhoid outbreaks.

As a farmer with a home grown farm stand you can see that we treat our soil with ash to sweeten turn and use insects and soap. We are chemical and pesticide free growing environment.

Buy what looks freshest and when you get home wash the item with water and pat dry.
                  Last edited by jimmys devoted; 01-29-2009, 03:30 PM.

Comment

organic foods? as a consumer we can see to it if the type of fertilizers they used is natural or with chemical.

Comment

Checking For Real Organic

Since the term organic has taken off, I think that most people will see it as the term for healthy food. I guess it is wrong when you think about it, since all food is organic, but when phrases become popular, then it simply takes on that new meaning.

When I buy organic foods, I look for the little "certified by so and so" logo on their package. I also check for the USDA organic stamp too. It's the basic way to see if they are really organic. But there's more you can do. Check out the rest of the package. They usually makes sure to let you know that they are the type of farm that is now dedicated to really being "green". They usually make sure that no one takes it for granted that they are really chemical free. Most make sure to advertise that they are raising their crops and animals at a higher and cleaner level.

Most also make sure that their consumers learn that they are dedicated to agriculture that "encourages biologic activity in the soil, promotes conservation and sustainability and integrated biodiversity on the farm."

They want you to know that they are working at "farming that cycles natural resources, enhanses ecological balance and honors the earth's natural relationships between soil, plants, animals and people."

If you're not sure that the organic farm near you, or the one you're buying from is legit, try doing some research online about them. See if they care enough to communicate with their clients. Sometimes you can learn a lot about them online.

Comment

Originally posted by DianaR View Post
                        What effects have these foods had on people, all of these years, while eating the "non-organic" versions?

I ask because most people in my age group, have eaten foods, for most of our lives, that were not "organic".

What signs should we watch for that indicate that these foods have harmed us?
                        Foods grown in the usual way have been dusted and fed pesticides that are taken into the bodies of the beings that then eat that food. There are some studies that show that eating pesticides can cause low birth weight and birth defects; can interfere with child development and cognitive ability; cause neurological problems; disrupt hormone function and cause a variety of cancers, including leukemia, kidney cancer, brain cancer, and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.

To think that eating vegetables and fruit can contribute to getting so many diseases is just terrible, Those are the foods we usually go to in order to fight diseases and cancer. We can only guess how many people have been poisened by foods that have pesticides in them.

Comment

The real issue

I believe the real issue that I grapple with continually is do we really know whether or not the little "certified organic" stickers and labels on food products/produce are trueful. I stated earlier that I can tell the difference with dairy and meats, but unfortunately can't afford to buy them regularly. I'm starting to wonder if I should start putting money toward my own farm . Actually, I believe that's what co-ops are for, and those can be quite pricey as well.
                          Anyway, I've come to the conclusion that I need to eat as many natural and "process free" foods that I can. Call them organic or pesticide-free--these foods are still going to cost prep time and money...and it's worth it.

Comment

We try to buy organic whenever we can, but I never thought of organic coffee?

Interesting.

Comment

I think we all have gotten to the point that we all know that the mainstream way of growing foods is not the healthiest way to make food. Big growers look at their bottom line as the most important thing and they think that if they have to overuse a chemical or not have the best and cleanest foods produced, then that is acceptable.

If we all let the manufacturers know that we do want clean and healthy food -- in EVERY SENSE -- and will not accept food grown in any way that is feasible and that we will only buy healthy food, then the way our foods are grown and transported to us will change.

Comment

Working...
                              X