Makes 6 servings.
1 package fast-rising yeast
2 tablespoons hot water (115°F / 45°C)
1¾ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup quick-cooking oats
1¾ teaspoons Equal® for Recipes or 6 packets Equal® sweetener or ¼ cup Equal® Spoonful™
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons cold margarine, cut into pieces
⅔ cup buttermilk
3 cups sliced strawberries
1½ teaspoons Equal® for Recipes or 4½ packets Equal® sweetener or 3 tablespoons Equal® Spoonful™
Light whipped topping (optional)
1. Mix yeast and hot water in small bowl; let stand 5 minutes.
2. Combine flour, oats, 1¾ teaspoons Equal® for Recipes, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl; cut in margarine with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
3. Stir buttermilk and yeast mixture into flour mixture, making a moderately stiff dough. Knead dough on lightly floured surface 3 to 4 times.
4. Let dough rise, covered, in warm place until almost doubled in size, 15 to 20 minutes.
5. Punch dough down. Roll dough on lightly floured surface to ½-inch thickness; cut into hearts or other shapes with 3-inch cutter.
6. Bake on greased cookie sheet in preheated 400°F (205°C) oven until biscuits are browned, about 20 minutes.
7. Sprinkle strawberries with 1½ teaspoons Equal® for Recipes. Split warm biscuits and place on plates; spoon strawberries over. Garnish with dollops of whipped topping and mint sprigs.
Nutritional Info (per serving):
Food Exchanges: 2½ Bread, ½ Fruit, 1 Fat
Recipe provided courtesy of Merisant Corporation ® and the NutraSweet Company, makers of Equal®.