Poached Pear Halves with Red Wine Sauce
Makes 6 servings.
2 cups dry red wine
1 cup apple juice
2 cinnamon sticks
1 whole nutmeg
6 pears, peeled, cored, cut into halves
2 tablespoons cornstarch
¼ cup cold water
¼ to ⅓ cup Equal® Spoonful™
1. Heat wine, apple juice, cinnamon sticks and nutmeg to simmering in large skillet; add pear halves with cut sides down. Simmer, covered, until pears are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
2. Carefully remove pears to serving dishes; discard spices.
3. Heat wine mixture to boiling.
4. Mix cornstarch and cold water; stir into boiling mixture. Boil, stirring constantly, until thickened.
5. Remove from heat; let stand 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in Equal®Spoonful™ ; spoon sauce around pears. Garnish with mint sprigs.
Nutritional Info (per serving):
Saturated Fat: 0g
Total Fat: <1g
Food Exchanges: 2½ Fruit
Recipe provided courtesy of Merisant Corporation ® and the NutraSweet Company, makers of Equal®.